• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mooyo

I've been reading around that the Crucial Ballistix I purchased tends to get hot and/or needs some sort of active cooling for better performance and OCing. I will have pretty good air flow throughout my case (Antec P180) but I want to be sure that I don't screw this memory up. Any suggestions on what to cool my memory with? Right now I'm thinking of zip-tieing a few 80mm or smaller fans together and moutning them somehow to be positioned above the memory (thank you to whoever's build I saw this on ;) ). I'm open to modding my case if need be.

One 80mm fan should be quite adequate. I would only tie together 60mm fans to cover the length of the ram slot. People have bent coat hangers and used them to suspend the fan over the CPU. There are aftermarket tiny fans designed to mount over the ram as well. For me, I find that the air blown down by my 92mm xp90 fan does a good job of keeping my ram cool so, I took out my extra fan. However, my ram is not running that hot anyway. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the help :)

I wonder if my Big Typhoon will cool it enough...guess we'll have to wait and see once everything arrives.

You are welcome Mooyo. Does the Typhoon fan blow in the direction of your ram? With my mobo my xp90 sits right over the ram slots 1 and 2 that I use.

it will cool the first orange slot well but my other stick tends to get warm, I'm going to put a 120 blowhole in the side of my case tomorrow right above the ram so it will lower ram and bring in fresh air for the cpu, it should sit 1/2 on the proc heatsink and 1/2 on the ram. I'll let you know how it helps

My hopes are that it lowers the cpu temp some as the typhoon is probably a little starved for air as theres only about 2-3" of space between the side panel and it on my p160.

I use a XP120 with a 120mm FAN, the airflow from the FAN also cool the RAM very well!

As a temporary mod, I made a new side panel for my case out of an old pizza box and mounted 120mm fan in it. It's not pretty, but it only took me half an hour and the fan cools the RAM and mobo power circuitry and also helps feed fresh air to the CPU cooler. If you're thinking of a more permanent version of this, you might do it in cardboard first to try different configurations.

I like the idea of having a fan on the side of the case that just blows over the ram, plus, you get the added benefit of cooling that general area of the mobo.

Back