• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Host generic Svcs for Win32 has encountered.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

I've been getting this error every reboot or the past couple of days and my soundcard quits functioning. I've gone to device manager and it registers without an error. The only fix I've found(yes, i did uninstall, reinstall dance, disabled, etc.) was to sysrestore to October 25th, before the Windows Autoupdate started misbehaving. As soon as it booted I disabled "auto update", of which there's 4 updates. One of these critters is the culprit. There is an error saying "Windows XP Service pk2 updater" needs to close, twice, after a reboot initiated by the install of these updates. After this, the Host error starts apologizes for the inconvienence of shutting down and my sound card quits.
Anyone heard of this conflict or similar problems with these updates? The only way I know to narrow it down is to install one update at a time and see which one(or two) crash afterwards.

Are you running service pack 2?

I would search for info on the updates. They should be named KBxxxxxx. Microsoft always publishes info on updates and usually some troubleshooting advice if something goes wrong.

Back