• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dilemma. mismatched CAS or different brand?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitebear4

i want to upgrade my ram and was thinking to buy another stick of the same ram below at newegg. however, newegg no longer produces a 2.5CAS of the stick but instead makes 3.0CAS. should i just buy the stick of 3.0CAS and have them mismatched or get a stick of 512mb ram from a different company with 2.5CAS? by the way, i have no plans to overclock whatsoever

i would personnaly by a diffirant brand as long as there the same speeds it should be ok.

What matters more than brand or half a cycle of latency is how the RAM is organized. If you're not going to overclock, you probably don't care about the half a cycle extra latency. You might notice the difference if your DIMMs won't run in dual channel mode, though. I suggest you contact PQI, give them the exact part number of the RAM you have, and ask them what currently available RAM is most like to run in dual channel mode with it.

If that doesn't work, try to figure out the part number of the RAM chips used to make the DIMM you have, and then look for something else that uses those chips. This will get you the same organization and both sticks will be happy at the same voltage, even if the modules are rated at different speeds or latencies.

Also, are you sure the part you have is no longer available? I'm assuming that when you said
elitebear4 said:
however, newegg no longer produces a 2.5CAS of the stick but instead makes 3.0CAS.
you meant that PQI no longer makes the 2.5CAS RAM you have. But just in case you meant what you typed, Newegg is not the manufacturer of your RAM, and just because they don't have it anymore doesn't mean that no one else does.

Good luck :)

can have a try, most shop provide 7 days return policy, if they can't work together, then just return. Most shops at Australia does :)

Back