• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"net use" to map network folder +password?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The_Jizzler

im trying to use the net use command to map a network folder i have. the problem im having is how do i include either the password or a prompt for pass in the command? ie, net use x: \\192.168.2.205\Shared Folder ,.... i know that much, so how do i insert the pass into that? ive looked into ti but all the diagrams haave abunch of these {}/braackets everywhere and it confuses me as to what do i need to input or/and whats just part of their example. thanks guys.

It should ask you for the username and pass after you enter the net use string... at least it does for me. So - net use X:\sharedresource - enter - it should then say (in the dos prompt) username, type it then password.

ok my command looks like this: net use x: \\192.168.2.205\Torrent Action
ok now when i enter that i get a "system error 1326" "logon failure unknown username and/or bad password" no new prompt or anything.

PS im trying to do this from a smoothwall "green to orange" (aka local lan to DMZ) not sure if it matters.

http://www.computerhope.com/nethlp.htm#03 i found this page but it confuses me like i described above. the frustrating thiing is i know its right there in front of me on that webpage! AARRGGH i feel stupid! lol

Last edited:
format it like this

net use x: \\computer\share password /u:username

also, any folder name that includes spaces, requires ""
example

net use x: "\\computer\share folder" password /u:username

If you are logging in under an account on the target pc, you will need to format like this

net use x: "\\computer\share folder" password /u:computer\username

HOLY 5h!7 it worked!! thanks a bunch dwschoon! i was beginning to think i was hopeless.

Back