• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Longhorn -

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vanish

Does any one here know any true info on the new Windows Operating System.. Info like will it run on old systems or what does it need to run.

-Kevin

Well let me be the first to say WELCOME TO THE FORUMS :welcome:

Windows Longhorn is now Windows Vista. It is in Beta 2 release right now (i think).

as for the specs from this site;
System Requirements
Minimum system requirements will not be known until summer 2006 at the earliest. However, these guidelines provide useful estimates:
• 512 megabytes (MB) or more of RAM
• A dedicated graphics card with DirectX® 9.0 support
• A modern, Intel Pentium- or AMD Athlon-based PC.

But there are several threads here on the forums, just search for them.

Last edited:
What I have heard is that it requires a minimum of 512mb ram and 64mb graphics ram, but that they recommend 2 gb system ram and 256 mb graphics ram for good performance. It is pretty clear that you'll need a fairly powerful system for it to run well. However, since it's not due out for some time still, the average power of computers will have increased somewhat by the time it's out.

One of the more annoying requirements is that you will have to get a new monitor that is "trusted" in order to play back media at full resolution. Using a standard monitor will cause Vista to run the graphics stream through a resolution constrictor, which shrinks down the images and then blows them up in order to cause a loss of image quality.

I had heard that too, that royally blows. Why should you have to buy a whole new monitor? By that time, I'll have probably bought a new comp anyways. My current desktop is almost 3 years old. I've upgraded it little by little the past 3 years, but its time for a new one. I'm looking forward to Vista though, it looks great and I can't wait to use it.

M$ is concerned that you could take video output that is headed to the monitor and record that. That would be a way around the digital restrictions management in vista. The new "trusted" monitors communicate with the computer to assure that the signal is going to the monitor and not being recorded somehow between being output from the computer and being viewed on the monitor. The image stream is encrypted before transmission and then decrypted by the monitor, that way the user can't get at the data in between.

M$, Intel, the RIAA, and the MPAA sure know how to suck every last drop of fun out of computing.

Alright , looks like ill just have to wait until the time its out. Was wondering this because i didn't want to build a new system and it wont be able to run Windows Vistia.

Thank-you for all the info and the welcome.

Plus if I didn't know about the new Vista name, I wouldn't know that it was being discussed.

sorry about that , forgot to check if there was any other discussion on it. Wont happen again.

Back