• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netflix got sued.(Maybe I'll go back)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom10167

I rent A TON of movies via mail, I was using Netflix's 'unlimited' program, but I quit, they were doing some pretty shady stuff. I'd send all my movies back IN ONE ENVELOPE and they'd send me all my new movies 1 or 2 at a time. They said it's because they didn't always have every movie at their satellite office. ...Well, I didn't buy it and switched to Blockbuster, then today I get this e-mail from them.(I get E-mails from them all the time asking me to come back)

You are receiving this notice because you were a paid Netflix member before January 15, 2005. Under a proposed class action settlement, you may be eligible to receive a free benefit from Netflix.

A class action lawsuit entitled Chavez v. Netflix, Inc. was filed in San Francisco Superior Court (case number CGC-04-434884) on September 23, 2004. The lawsuit alleges that Netflix failed to provide "unlimited" DVD rentals and "one day delivery" as promised in its marketing materials. Netflix has denied any wrongdoing or liability. The parties have reached a settlement that they believe is in the best interests of the company and its subscribers.

Netflix will provide eligible subscribers with the benefit described below, if the settlement is approved by the Court.

Current Netflix Members: If you enrolled in a paid membership before January 15, 2005 and were a member on October 19, 2005, you are eligible to receive a free one-month upgrade in service level. For example, if you are on the 3 DVDs at-a-time program, you will be upgraded to the 4 DVDs at-a-time program for one month. There will be no price increase during the upgraded month. (If you cancel your membership after October 19, 2005 and before you receive the upgrade, you will have to rejoin to get the upgrade.)

Former Netflix Members: If you enrolled in a paid membership before January 15, 2005 but were not a member on October 19, 2005, you are eligible to receive a free one-month Netflix membership on your choice of the 1, 2 or 3 DVDs at-a-time unlimited program. (If you rejoin after October 19, 2005 but before you receive the free one-month membership, you will receive a credit for the free month when it becomes available.)
These benefits will be provided after the Effective Date as defined in the Settlement Agreement. Your eligibility for the benefits is based on your membership status as of October 19, 2005. The full Settlement Agreement is available for review at www.netflixsettlement.com.

You have four options to respond to the proposed settlement. You have until December 28, 2005 to make your decision:

Option 1. Sign Up For The Benefit As Part Of The Settlement
To receive the benefit, you must complete the online registration process no later than February 17, 2006, at www.netflixsettlement.com. By signing up for the benefit, you waive your right to bring a separate lawsuit against Netflix concerning the Released Claims (as defined in the Settlement Agreement found at www.netflixsettlement.com).

Option 2. Do Nothing
If you do not wish to receive the benefit, do nothing. You will not receive the benefit but will remain a Class Member. You therefore waive your right to bring a separate lawsuit against Netflix concerning the Released Claims.

Option 3. Exclude Yourself From the Class
To exclude yourself from the class, you must mail a letter by December 28, 2005. By excluding yourself, you preserve your right to bring a lawsuit against Netflix concerning the Released Claims. However, you will not get the benefit described above.

Option 4. Make An Objection To The Settlement In Court
To object to the settlement, you must file legal papers in the San Francisco Superior Court by January 5, 2006.

To receive your benefit, you must register by February 17, 2006 as described above in Option 1. You will not receive any other reminders to register for the benefit. If you have registered for the benefit and your eligibility is confirmed, then you will be provided additional information by email following the Effective Date as defined in the Settlement Agreement.

After the benefit period ends, the new or upgraded level of service will continue automatically (following an email reminder) and you will be billed accordingly, unless you cancel or modify your subscription. You can cancel or modify your subscription at any time.

In addition, if the settlement is approved by the Court, Netflix will modify portions of its Terms of Use. Netflix also will refer to its Terms of Use in certain advertisements.

To get more information about the settlement and procedures, and to take options 1, 3 or 4, visit www.netflixsettlement.com.
------

I don't even particularly care about my "lost money" or whatever, if they truly offer 1-day-turnaround I'll switch back to them in a heartbeat, I like their service(aside from the slow deliveries) over Blockbuster.

tom10167 said:
I rent A TON of movies via mail, I was using Netflix's 'unlimited' program, but I quit, they were doing some pretty shady stuff. I'd send all my movies back IN ONE ENVELOPE and they'd send me all my new movies 1 or 2 at a time. They said it's because they didn't always have every movie at their satellite office. ...Well, I didn't buy it and switched to Blockbuster, then today I get this e-mail from them.(I get E-mails from them all the time asking me to come back)

You are receiving this notice because you were a paid Netflix member before January 15, 2005. Under a proposed class action settlement, you may be eligible to receive a free benefit from Netflix.

A class action lawsuit entitled Chavez v. Netflix, Inc. was filed in San Francisco Superior Court (case number CGC-04-434884) on September 23, 2004. The lawsuit alleges that Netflix failed to provide "unlimited" DVD rentals and "one day delivery" as promised in its marketing materials. Netflix has denied any wrongdoing or liability. The parties have reached a settlement that they believe is in the best interests of the company and its subscribers.

Netflix will provide eligible subscribers with the benefit described below, if the settlement is approved by the Court.

Current Netflix Members: If you enrolled in a paid membership before January 15, 2005 and were a member on October 19, 2005, you are eligible to receive a free one-month upgrade in service level. For example, if you are on the 3 DVDs at-a-time program, you will be upgraded to the 4 DVDs at-a-time program for one month. There will be no price increase during the upgraded month. (If you cancel your membership after October 19, 2005 and before you receive the upgrade, you will have to rejoin to get the upgrade.)

Former Netflix Members: If you enrolled in a paid membership before January 15, 2005 but were not a member on October 19, 2005, you are eligible to receive a free one-month Netflix membership on your choice of the 1, 2 or 3 DVDs at-a-time unlimited program. (If you rejoin after October 19, 2005 but before you receive the free one-month membership, you will receive a credit for the free month when it becomes available.)
These benefits will be provided after the Effective Date as defined in the Settlement Agreement. Your eligibility for the benefits is based on your membership status as of October 19, 2005. The full Settlement Agreement is available for review at www.netflixsettlement.com.

You have four options to respond to the proposed settlement. You have until December 28, 2005 to make your decision:

Option 1. Sign Up For The Benefit As Part Of The Settlement
To receive the benefit, you must complete the online registration process no later than February 17, 2006, at www.netflixsettlement.com. By signing up for the benefit, you waive your right to bring a separate lawsuit against Netflix concerning the Released Claims (as defined in the Settlement Agreement found at www.netflixsettlement.com).

Option 2. Do Nothing
If you do not wish to receive the benefit, do nothing. You will not receive the benefit but will remain a Class Member. You therefore waive your right to bring a separate lawsuit against Netflix concerning the Released Claims.

Option 3. Exclude Yourself From the Class
To exclude yourself from the class, you must mail a letter by December 28, 2005. By excluding yourself, you preserve your right to bring a lawsuit against Netflix concerning the Released Claims. However, you will not get the benefit described above.

Option 4. Make An Objection To The Settlement In Court
To object to the settlement, you must file legal papers in the San Francisco Superior Court by January 5, 2006.

To receive your benefit, you must register by February 17, 2006 as described above in Option 1. You will not receive any other reminders to register for the benefit. If you have registered for the benefit and your eligibility is confirmed, then you will be provided additional information by email following the Effective Date as defined in the Settlement Agreement.

After the benefit period ends, the new or upgraded level of service will continue automatically (following an email reminder) and you will be billed accordingly, unless you cancel or modify your subscription. You can cancel or modify your subscription at any time.

In addition, if the settlement is approved by the Court, Netflix will modify portions of its Terms of Use. Netflix also will refer to its Terms of Use in certain advertisements.

To get more information about the settlement and procedures, and to take options 1, 3 or 4, visit www.netflixsettlement.com.
------

I don't even particularly care about my "lost money" or whatever, if they truly offer 1-day-turnaround I'll switch back to them in a heartbeat, I like their service(aside from the slow deliveries) over Blockbuster.

I switched from Netfix to Blockbuster, but I have to tell you BLockbuster service is no better than Netflix. Often there is a wait for movies. I may take advantage of this offer though as I am eligible :D

Blockbuster is below average. I have "movies out" that I do not have out, and some of them that I have 'returned' I still have. They've sent me the wrong movie in right sleeve, the right movie in the wrong sleeve, or once the wrong movie altogether. I've also had disks that wouldn't play in my PC from them.

I'll definitely go back to NF, hoorah!

this sounds exactly like my subscription to gamefly. they say "unlimited rentals", but it usually takes a week to get a game sent back and a new one to come. apparently they also like to scam people into thinking their returns got lost and therefore take forever in sending you your next game. they changed their policy, but i dont think ill go back anytime soon. as for the video rentals, i think ill stick with the non-online unlimited blockbuster. that way i can just drive to the store instead of having to wait

I got this as well. I have been a member on and off since Jan 2001. I must say, they did have some turnaround problems back then, but lately thay have been great. There is one misconception though, that is the "one day delivery". For example:

I have a movie, drop it in the mail on Sunday night, I get a confirmation that they received on Tuesday & shipped the next, I receive the new one either on Wednesday or Thursday.

Yes it may be "One Day Delivery" once they receive one, but it is still about 3-days of overall turnaround.

I will probably let this pass, since their offer for fixing it is one free month of an upgraded plan. I already have their 5-out plan. Also, your one month free upgrade is a joke, because unless you downgrade after that first month, you will get charged for the new plan.

bchur83 said:
I will probably let this pass, since their offer for fixing it is one free month of an upgraded plan. I already have their 5-out plan. Also, your one month free upgrade is a joke, because unless you downgrade after that first month, you will get charged for the new plan.

Yea, Im screwed too, how do I upgrade from 8 DVDs at a time?

bchur83 said:
There is one misconception though, that is the "one day delivery". For example:

I have a movie, drop it in the mail on Sunday night, I get a confirmation that they received on Tuesday & shipped the next, I receive the new one either on Wednesday or Thursday.

Yup, just like "next day shipping" doesn't mean you'll get your order tomorrow, foo's gotta process yo.

----I cleaned out my local Blockbuster in NY, haven't thought to visit the one around here, probably should have. Movie pass was nice but you could only have 3 out at a time, that's like 2 trips a day.

Blockbuster is nice with coupons though, you get 2 free instore rentals(never used any) and they e-mailed me telling me I get a free used movie, sweet.
Probably won't do it though. :D

Back