• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My next mobo: Gigabyte GA-G1975X (i975X)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
I just saw this up on the Inquirer and ive made up my mind that I am probably going to buy this on release. I just hope its not like the *other* i955X Gigabyte board I had, that thing was just terrible. I think it was the worst board I've ever owned short of the K8N Neo2.

That aside this looks very promising to say the least

news_g1975x_5.jpg

Rumor has it that nVidia will support quad-SLI starting next year and ATi plans to follow something similar with their RD480 chipset that also supports 2 x 16X PCI-E slots as well as a 4x8 configuration.

This looks like it should be able to do the same. As Crossfire only needs a 4x PEG slot this ought to allow for Quad Xfire when and if it arrives.

Im still waiting for the Asus option but I figured I would go ahead and post this now since I found it to be so interesting.

Last edited:
Its a Gigabyte, waste of time, there is a reason they are usually first to market.

Wait till Abit and ASUS have their offerings out.

{PMS}fishy said:
Its a Gigabyte, waste of time, there is a reason they are usually first to market.

Wait till Abit and ASUS have their offerings out.
Yes I have to agree with you on that. The "enthusiast" gigabyte boards that I have owned previously really let me down consistantally. Im hoping Abit and Asus will have something soon for me to gauge what I will do.

Cool, I'm looking forward to your review........................definitely give us some details.

With you being one of the top Mushin Tech supports, we have no doubt that they'll send you one for a complete and thorough review. Also, you review will be more of a down-to-earth and reality achievable by using standard cooling methods. I bet that a lot of people will be agreeing with your review rather those impressive phase-cooling or Liquid Nitrogen setups where only less than 5% of the PC enthusiasts are actualy running.

Keep up the good work Phil.........we're rooting for you :)

nkcdwe have no doubt that they'll send you one for a complete and thorough review.[/QUOTE said:
Im glad you dont, but I do lol. Most likely as always ill be forced to buy one at retail price. No worries tho, this was something I had planned on doing anyway

I must not be an enthusiast, because I have always owned Gigabyte products with no issues whatsoever. Sentential's review of the 955x Royal from Gigabyte was the first motherboard, which I can recall, that had major issues.

ASUS has always had rock solid motherboards, but they always skimped on the extras. Gigabyte's boards have always had extras, which in my "non-enthusiast" world, means a lot for future expandability.

Maybe I have just been lucky. :shrug:

Re: Ggigabyte vs the other enthusiast oriented mobos (i.e. Asus, Abit, and possibly DFI).

I very much agree that for the OC enthusiast, Asus & Abit, IME, win hands down, with Asus usually getting my nod.

But, my Gigabyte experiences have been excellent for running a stock solidly stable system. High quality, IMO, but they just don't have the full feature rich BIOS OC options of Asus & Abit, that we, as dedicated overclockers, demand.

However...

I think this scheduled Gigabyte 14 Nov 2005 release is a very good thing, 'cuz Abit, Asus, et al, are bound to be right on Gigabyte's tails in releasing i975 mobos.

The i975's could be a perfect path for someone who currently is sitting on the fence with a 5/6xx on a mediocre mobo (i.e. something less than the outstanding P5WD2; Maybe an i915/925, or an i865/875 hybrid like in my sig), and wanting to move soon in deciding to go multicore. Just grab the premier Asus (or Abit, I suppose) i975 board as available, and maybe give some new life to your 5/6xx. Then, soon later, when available, grab a Pressler.

Sorry if sounding like an Asus fanboi...I've just had a very good run with them, and found them cutting edge inovative (1st i865 "psuedo PAT", 1st 14X multi unlock, etc), and usually very good with providing fast BIOS support - JMOs

Strat

Last edited:
I wonder if Intel can find a way to reduce the price for this chipset becuase the i955x is just ridculously expensive considering the fact that none of these boards had enough extras to warrant costing $200+

Anyway if I think I might wait a week to buy a mobo.

chawks2 said:
I must not be an enthusiast, because I have always owned Gigabyte products with no issues whatsoever. Sentential's review of the 955x Royal from Gigabyte was the first motherboard, which I can recall, that had major issues.

ASUS has always had rock solid motherboards, but they always skimped on the extras. Gigabyte's boards have always had extras, which in my "non-enthusiast" world, means a lot for future expandability.

Maybe I have just been lucky. :shrug:

100% agree with u, the case is the same with me.

however, on the contrary with sen's experience, my own experience with the 8I955x Royal is alot better, 4.5GHz stable 1.45v, currently facing ram barriers and PSU problems that are keeping me from going on.

no doubt Asus and Abit are the pioneers in OCing.. but iam a Gigabyte fan!

now now come here.. gigabyte fans are essential to this forum! who's gonna provide accurate info on the long run on gigabyte boards?? we do!

hi'
I'm a gigabyte fan ;)
I had for the last three MB, gigabyte and never any problem with, even the last one still running fine, a GA-8IPE1000.
alright? I want to upgrade and reach some OC so probably will go for an Asus this time as their reputation for OC is rock solid, but in the other hand gigabyte is rock solid in normal condition and even in reasonnable OC :)

i686

i686 said:
[...]

but in the other hand gigabyte is rock solid in normal condition and even in reasonnable OC :)

i686
Absolutely! :cool:

While I've been an Asus fan, as of late, due to their (IMO) balance of quality & OC features, my old Gigabyte mobo was drop-dead rock solid, 24/7! What they possibly lack in desired OC or BIOS features, they make up for with rock solid dependability, IMO.

Then again, I haven't had a Gigabyte mobo in several years, so I might be behind the times, a bit.

Strat

+++

*pssst*

/me waves hand silently & unobtrusively

Even tho this is a mobo thread, I thought I'd mention: Gigabyte makes very good Radeon "reference" based video cards. My last several builds have used them. They've been of excellent quality and performance, at a very reasonable price. Much better than Saphire, IMO, & *gulp* possibly even ATI, themselves. :eek:

JMO

Back