• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switching to AMD and need a few suggestions for memory....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shootingblanks

Currently building a new computer for gaming. Going to purchase either the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard or the ASUS A8N32-SLI motherboard. If I decide to go with the A8N-SLI Premium will my current TCCD/TCC5 based memory of 2X512mb configuration of 4200 El Platinum work? Also, if I decide to purchase another 2*512 dimms of this memory for a total of 2 gbs of memory work without the 2T issues that plagued the older boards. I plan to use the latest bios for stability and performance. Also, would selling these 4200 El Platinum and just purchasing 2gb(2x1gb) dimms be a better option for performance? Lastly, if I decide to sell the 4200 El Platinum, which 2X1gb memory do you recommend.

Shootingblanks said:
Currently building a new computer for gaming. Going to purchase either the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard or the ASUS A8N32-SLI motherboard. If I decide to go with the A8N-SLI Premium will my current TCCD/TCC5 based memory of 2X512mb configuration of 4200 El Platinum work? Also, if I decide to purchase another 2*512 dimms of this memory for a total of 2 gbs of memory work without the 2T issues that plagued the older boards. I plan to use the latest bios for stability and performance. Also, would selling these 4200 El Platinum and just purchasing 2gb(2x1gb) dimms be a better option for performance? Lastly, if I decide to sell the 4200 El Platinum, which 2X1gb memory do you recommend.
4x512 double side banks will give you 2T no matter which mobo. It has to do w/ AMD mem controller. But 2T effect on performance is minimal. People buy 2x1g because of 2T hiccup. If you're planning to OC over 280FSB 1:1 then "I hate to say"
most people buy crucial balistix. I don’t, because I resent the dodo head's monopoly (they only sell their chips thru. Crucial, their subsidiary).
But if planning to OC ram ~245 and use divider for CPU higher than 245fsb (245x6/5=294 MHz cpu fsb), then patriot LLK , or OCZ platinum will do the job.

There is a new set from GSkill that is getting some decent OC's and is reasonably priced. I'm not talking in the Ballistic's OC range, but they sell for about $100 less and have tight timings.

As long as your current RAM plays well with the motherboard you've chosen, I suggest getting the second pair of 512's. 2T will slow you down only about 2-3% in games. And even the best RAM doens't give that big a boost with the A64's. The onboard memory controller works so well that memory just isn't a bottleneck very often.

Put the money you save into a faster CPU or your video card(s), and you'll get a lot more bang for you buck.

4200 El Platinum works fine on that mobo.

I would suggest buy a 1GB x 2 if u r not on budget. 4 x 512MB stick working on high frequency may produce a lot of heat and may forced to use 2T.

OCZ PC4000 EB is a good choice, able to works at 260-280MHz at 3-3-2-X.

I'd rank those in this order:
Crucial Ballistix
OCZ Platinum
OCZ Titanium

The Titanium is said to be optimized for stability and durability rather than speed, and if a stick goes bad, OCZ will ship the new one to you before they even recieve the bad stick. I have the Platinum, btw, but I haven't got round to OCing them yet.

Back