• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PVR/TV Programs? Best/Usefull?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

Im about to spend some money for a PVR,

Happauge WinTV-PVR 150 or a WinTV-PVR MCE for the remote option..

anyways...

i wanna know the best programs other than the program that comes with the hardware that is good for recording very good quality and ability to play tv shows in full screen in very good or good quality.

Looks like a good time to set up a pvr with all the options out there right now. I looked into it alot when I thought my tivo had died on me. I found 4 software packages that looked really intriguing.

1. Cyberlink PowerCinema
2. Intervideo Home Theater
3. Snapstream Media suite
4. Meedio Pro

They're all in the same general price range, so it comes down to personal preference.

For what it's worth, PC Magazine did an article recently reviewing PVR software that included all of these. Meedio came out the best.

I just set up a MythTV system. It does everything you could possibly want, but it's a bit of a challenge to set up. If you want the absolute best, go with MythTV... nothing else is close in terms of features.

I'm a fan of media portal, little bit of pain to work with, but you get the hang of it after a while, plus its free.

I've looked at many pvr's, as I just built one, and nothing was close to mythtv in terms of features. However, nothing was close to it in terms of difficulty of installation either. Took me over a week to get the whole system set up. However, it's multiple computers all networked together, a backend and two frontends. One backend records programs centrally, then all the frontends (one per tv) can access programs from that database. It lets me rip dvd's to the hard drive and transcode them to save space if I want. It has a weather module, a video module, a music module (cd's and mp3's), and a gaming module. The gaming module emulates nintendo, super nintendo, atari, and arcade games (through mame). There is a photo viewer / slide show module. I can play dvd's directly from the computer. It has a browser and an rss news reader.

It really does just about everything one could want. I think the best feature overall though is the flexible multiple computer frontend/backend setup. The videos, music, and games are stored on a separate file server. I can access all of it from any of the 10 computers in my house, and many of them are also set up to act as front ends, so I can watch live tv or recordings while I game or surf the web.

It's a very nice system, but it's a royal pain to set up, so many things to get working.

All windows PVR software sucks

I've tried GBPVR...I could never get it to work with either a PVR 150 MCE or PVR 250...both cards worked in a snap under Linux with MythTV/ivtv

My vote goes to MythTV ;)

Usually not an issue since it's a dedicated box in most cases and doesn't need to be able to run other apps.

Back