• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ordered my P5WD2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

howitzer

Registered
Well after having major issues with the P5ND2-SLI-Deluxe, I sent it back for a refund... ohh... and because it DIED!

I'll be honest, I bought it mainly because of the favorable reviews everyone here keeps giving it. I'm anxious to see how well this board preforms.

Sentential said:
Its definatly a very solid board, nothing really flashy or special about it, just good engeenering.

Solid was more what I was going for. I want to overclock a little... nothing insane by any means. The P5ND2 I has just was completely unstable and would hardly overclock at all.

crimedog said:
make sure you read the help threads about it, you'll more than likely run into the same issues

I notice your running the same Chip as me, the 830. How far were you able to push it? I am also running 2 Gig OCZ 533Mhz.

Once my board arrives I will be reading through the threads for sure!

howitzer said:
Solid was more what I was going for. I want to overclock a little... nothing insane by any means. The P5ND2 I has just was completely unstable and would hardly overclock at all.

Well your in luck. I'd call them solid for overclocking as well. They like the high fsb.

howitzer said:
I notice your running the same Chip as me, the 830. How far were you able to push it? I am also running 2 Gig OCZ 533Mhz.

Once my board arrives I will be reading through the threads for sure!

Are you planning on running air cooled or something else? Also, when your setting it up read about installing the HD drivers (F6) (floppy) while lnstalling windows if that's the OS your going to use.

crimedog said:
make sure you read the help threads about it, you'll more than likely run into the same issues

Cannot stress this point enough. Also, read the manual.

mjgent said:
Are you planning on running air cooled or something else? Also, when your setting it up read about installing the HD drivers (F6) (floppy) while lnstalling windows if that's the OS your going to use.

I am currently running a watercooling system and will be adding a TEC at some point in time.

I will be running Windows XP Pro SP2.

I'll read the manual as suggested before doing the install. What's with the HD drivers though... is there something non-standard there?

howitzer said:
I am currently running a watercooling system and will be adding a TEC at some point in time.

I'll read the manual as suggested before doing the install. What's with the HD drivers though... is there something non-standard there?
I haven't tried installing xp pro sp2 but anything before that doesn't have the HD controller drivers so you'll have to "make a disk" from the Asus cd and run that at F6 during windows install. There are many posts on here that goes through the setup for single SATA, RAID, IDE.

howitzer said:

With watercooling and a good PSU you should be able to hit around 4.1ghz. With a good TEC I'm not sure.

mjgent said:
With watercooling and a good PSU you should be able to hit around 4.1ghz. With a good TEC I'm not sure.

I can't wait for this board to get here. My system which I just built has been down for a week and a half with the other board dying and RMA's etc.

It will be real interesting when I get the TEC up and running etc with the watercooling.

mjgent said:

Kewl!!! It have it in now and it seems to be running well. Now I just need to figure out what settings I need to change in the BIOS for overclocking.

I just updated to BIOS 606.

speed bump said:
What kind of chip are you going to be running in this board?

Here's my current set-up:
Aspire X-Navigator Case
OCZ Modstream 520W PSU
Intel P4 830
2 Gig OCZ 533MHz DDR2 CL 3-3-3-8
XFX 7800GTX 490/1.32
WD 250GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM HDw/16MB Buffer
HP DVD640I OEM 16X DOUBLE LAYER LIGHT SCRIBE
LIQUID COOLING TT ROCKET (adding another radiator to deal with excess heat from the Pentium D, the Rocket while nice and quiet just can't deal with it)

Any suggestions for BIOS setup or anything else is GREATLY appreciated.

I have an 830 with that board. As per advice in here, I was using 0509 first, then 0519. Funny enough, I also upgraded from a P5ND2....does ANYONE have a stable one of these?

howitzer said:
Here's my current set-up:
Aspire X-Navigator Case
OCZ Modstream 520W PSU
Intel P4 830
2 Gig OCZ 533MHz DDR2 CL 3-3-3-8
XFX 7800GTX 490/1.32
WD 250GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM HDw/16MB Buffer
HP DVD640I OEM 16X DOUBLE LAYER LIGHT SCRIBE
LIQUID COOLING TT ROCKET (adding another radiator to deal with excess heat from the Pentium D, the Rocket while nice and quiet just can't deal with it)

Any suggestions for BIOS setup or anything else is GREATLY appreciated.

Why did you buy the TT Rocket, custom solutions work better MOST of the time. There is a thread right before this thread which has the latest bios for the P5WD2 Premium.

RangerXLT8 said:
Why did you buy the TT Rocket, custom solutions work better MOST of the time. There is a thread right before this thread which has the latest bios for the P5WD2 Premium.

Mainly because it got really good reviews, and since it was my first time getting into water cooling it was easiest and figured safest. I am sure it would work well for alot of other chips.. that don't get so hot, it just can't handle the heat from the 830.

Live and learn. I have ordered a radiator to help out with the heat then I should be okay.... I hope.

I've upgraded to the newest BIOS, seems reallt stable so far.

I have an 830 running 2 folding instances 7x24 on air - 255 fsb with corsair 5400c4 on a P5WD2. Temps up to 62.
Had it initally at 3900 stable folding 1 qmd 724 but had to drop the vcore and fsb to keep temps down when folding 2 instances.
800 PPD! :D

Will be trying it on my fisrt prommie soon but expect to max around 4.2 since the prommie will overload there according to others.

Plan to run it longer term on water ... maybe with a chiller addded once i get time for it.

Back