• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have 3.1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan0512

Hello, I have an old PII rig and a Win95 update disk for win 3.1. I wanted to install win 95 on a formatted drive. Thing is, I don't have windows 3.1 anymore :shrug: , anyone know where I can get it?

Dan

You can get 3.11 cheap on ebay... but why would you want to install 95 on anything? You can probably pick up a cheap copy of 98 or 2K on ebay, which would be much better, or you could try linux on it.

95 is just so unstable and out of date. It's 10 yrs old now.

yea at least 98 is a little bit more supported there are also some private users that release stuff for it too

i have windows 3.0 on 5 1/4 hidden some place, along with DOS 5 and 6 disks :D

But like other said 2K is the way to go, or 98SE if you dont have 256MB of RAM(the real mim req for 2K)

i'd say at least go with 98se or 2k, thought 3.1/95 would be a good blast from the past experience, you'd probably grow tired of it quickly lol.

haha very true. that would suck seriously, get done with the 3.1 setup, boot into windows.........and nothing works. x_x

*rofl* *points at Gates* You! This is YOUR fault! How DARE you not have the foresight to make Win 3.1 compatible with OMGEVERYTHINGLOLZ!!!11one

:D

We need the rig for a school project. (c+++), and we needed a new rig. its for this 1 ocassion.

dan

Captain Newbie said:
Interesting. Tell me more.

Its a project where we have to develop a program that can do some math. calculations. The stupid rector didnt let us use the school computers though. So we needed a rig that we could have in the clasroom for 2 weeks.

dan

If it's C++ and you only need to use it for a few weeks, Linux might be easier. Linux is built around C/C++ and has very good support for it.

Win2k will run on that system quite nicely. 350MHz and 256MB of RAM will actually run Win2k pretty fast.

Not fast, but usable. My mother runs 2K on a PC a good deal faster than that and it's noticeably laggy, even on stuff like web browsing. However, it's quite usable.

Win 98 would be pretty fast.

Problem is I don't have any money to finance this project. If I can get my hands on 3.1 or whatnot, then I have 95 for sure.

Dan

My laptop is 133 mhz, and it runs debian linux quite well really. I do most of my posting from it. Not exactly a gaming rig though. =p

If you are very short funds, I think you might want to look at linux. It runs well on low powered computers and has excellent c++ support, and it's totally free.

Back