• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Booting XP pro and MCE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chittnp

I already have windows MCE installed on my alienware are51 7700m laptop, I would like to upgrade to xp Pro, but the internal mini PCI tv tuner card will only work with MCE, so I was wondering if I can install XP Pro as a second OS and have the option when the computer boots to select which one I want to run. If anyone can help me through this I'd greatly appreciate it. thanks

You would have to make room on the hard drive for the 2nd os, ie create a new partition. In order to do this, you would need to non destructively repartition. This can be done with either partition magic (proprietary, not free) or qtparted (linux based, burn a knoppix cd and it will be included). Note that this is NOT risk free. Both these programs are known to trash partitions when they are in a bad mood.

After that, just boot up the install disc and install, windows boot loader allows for multiple os's. If it doesn't set up the boot menu automagically, then you can do it by editing boot.ini.

thanks....I cant imagine why the internal tv tuner thinks it will only work with MCE. Stupid stupid M$

M$ just wants you to spend more money on windows.

Maybe you should be sure you actually *need* XP Pro before upgrading to it...what does it have that MCE (~Home) doesn't?

Back