• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Workgroup Sharing advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

Im wanting to make some changes to the way my office fileshares but wanted an opinion. The setup is a small amount of clients about 8 on XP and a 2K server box. There is no Domain setup just all on the same workgroup and rights to files and printers are propigated through what I belive is a script although I can;t seem to find it....and the guy who set it up said he can't remember how he did it. Regardless what is a good setup for this environment. I kind of like adding users locally to the server that way I can control who can see what shares my only negative to this is that adding users gives them a local logon to the server....problem with a script setup is that it gives all users access to each others files.

For that type of environment, I'd set up a domain rather than a workgroup. You might also want to look into using Samba to do this with a linux box, as it's free, very stable, and able to do everything that windows is as a server. You have a lot of control over file and printer permissions this way.

You already paid for the server OS, why not use it to its full potential? Just create all of the users put them into the domain, join all of the computers to the domain, and you are done. You can also put each user into a group which will give permissions on each file or folder.

Also just because you created an account for each user on the server doesn't mean they will actualy be able to logon to the server itself. In fact only those users with Admin rights will be able to actually logon to the server machine locally.

Well, did he pay for the server OS? He's using a workgroup, so he might not be using a version of windows capable of running a domain. Those are quite expensive.

If he did, then Ignore me. =p

yeah I just came to this office..and it was already running 2000 server...I thought about domains but I've never done one from scratch but your probably right that probably is the best in the end.

Back