• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a budget board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
So, I'm throwing together a little budget computer (2GHZ P4, Radeon 9800 Pro) and I'm looking for a board with a little overclocking potential. My last board didn't have that nor did it have an AGP lock. I'm thinking I want something that can at least run a 133MHz FSB, has an AGP lock, and is based on the 865PE or better chipset. I've heard Abit makes pretty good mobos. Does anyone have any recomendations?

The lowest budget priced Abit that I can recommend is the IS7-E2 (just be aware is only has 2 RAM slots). Newegg has them brand new at $71. If you don't mind refurbs and if you have already have an ethernet card, then newegg has a IC7 for $79 or maybe check out the refurb Asus P4P800 for $70.50.

No, I don't mind refurb boards too much. I'm liking the Abit IS7-E2, I guess I'll go with that one. I can't find anywhere on-line though where it says it has an AGP/PCI lock? Can someone here confirm that it does as I'm sick of running my CPUs at ether 133/166/200MHz FSB.

Last edited:
Right, all the Abit IS7, AI7, and IC7 series motherboards have AGP/PCI lock. It's the VIA and SIS chipsets that usually don't have the AGP/PCI lock.

Well, any of the overclocker mobos like Abit and Asus. The Intel brand mobos won't have the lock nor will it have other O/C features. Also, some of the Abit i865 micro mobos don't have much in the way of O/C features either.

ooo, i just wanna put one up for MSI, with a 2.4a i reached 4ghz. Lovely little board, packed with features, u name it. Jus a side note if you're not 100% sure yet if u want the ABIT, dont get me wrong they're amazing boards, just wanna let you know what board i had good experiences with.

I'd get a half decent board, this being the Abit Ai7. Very good value and you have a pretty good upgrade path if you decide to get a 800MHz bus CPU, be it Northwood or Prescott.

Scott.

Back