• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLipstreaming my SATA/Raid drivers into an XP install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chittnp

Is it possible to create a windows installation dvd that includes the latest updates and the right drivers for my Sata/Raid hardware? could someone post me a link to a guide or something

Thanks

Last edited:
I assume you mean CD-R's (not DVD-R's)? I LOVE nLite software (its FREE!!!). I have successfully made 2 unattended install CD's for TWO different PC's with RAID-0 arrays on the ICH5R Sothbridge (the OS drive), as well as my Promise FastTrack drivers for my RAID-0 DATA array (Other RAID controllers may be different - I dunno). In order to add the RAID drivers (The "F6" drivers), you still have to initially make the floppy disk. You put the floppy in the drive, and then point nLite to those drivers (the actual Text Mode RAID drivers are NOT in the Intel Zip file, you MUST run the Floppy "Make Disk" command to get these drivers, and then pull them off of the floppy. These drivers don't exist until you actually make the floppy).

I also did "Recompress driver .cab files" on nLite's last page for both CD's - and it seemed to work perfectly (might be un-needed, but it worked twice for me now :) ).

I have not added the "Hotfixes" yet, but there is a way to download a "Basket" of hotfixes from the MS Update site - I just haven't done this yet... IIRC, my Install CD was about 550MB with these drivers, so there is still about 150MB of room left for updates, etc.

nLite is the bomb! :cool:

I was going to try and put it on DVD-R, I just happen to be out of cd-r's at the moment..I searched the forum and found and article that explained how to make your own custom windos install cd, but I keep running into the same problem. I get a BSOD everytime setup tries to run after the reboot saying that there's a problem with one of my HDD's and to run CHKDSK /F, I'm assuming the /F is the drive letter. The only problem is that F: is my CF card reader (which is built into my laptop), I've tried disabling it but it still BSOD's on me...anyone have any idea what maybe casuing this? On a side note, Im running Executive softwares Diskeeper, and when I had tried to upgrade from within the OS, It came up with a little yellow exclamation point. Im not sure if its whats causing the problem. I even created a new partition on my C: drive to do a fresh install of the new OS and it still wont cooperate.

Are you disabling the CF Reader in the BIOS? IIRC, some CF Card Readers actually interface to the IDE port, and XP might assume this is a HD - but it is obviously not.

Have you tried slipstreaming the drivers for the CF card into your Install CD? This might help - but I really don't know. I highly recommend downloading nLite to do all of the driver integration and stuff - it is fully GUI based, and VERY easy to understand IMO.

Also - Why would you need RAID drivers on a Laptop (as you mention in your initial post)? Does your laptop actually have a RAID array? If not, all of the RAID Driver stuff I mentioned above is non-relevant (Installing XP onto a RAID array takes a few extra steps that you should not need to worry about on a laptop).

You will STILL have to install the appropriate Chipset Drivers (like Intel's "INF") AFTER the XP install is complete...

:cool:

its an alienware area51 7700m laptop, and it has a raid controller onboard, but its not set up with a raid array, so not needing the drivers is good to know,but it is a SATA setup, so I will need the drivers for that, correct? when I originally got the first BSOD I thought it was an error because of the install trying find the SATA drivers and not being able to, but Im convinced its the darn card reader. once it made it all the way to the part where you choose your installation partition, and all the card reader drives were listed and niether the C: drive or the E: Partition I set up were on the list. Im kinda going nuts trying to figure the problem out. I've searched alienwares site and the utilities disk that came with the computer and I cant find any drivers for the card reader.

Last edited:
/F in CHKDSK doesn't have anything to do with the F: drive. It is one of the CHKDSK parameters that tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds.

oh...well, I learn something new everytime I come here :) thanks to everyone for their help...I grabbed a copy of nlite and Im playing around with that. thanks agian!

Back