• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to resize partition without formatting Question help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

I need to know the best program to use within windows XP Pro.

I have a 36 GB rappy and I partitioned it to
10 - XP Pro
10 - XP 64
15 - data

My problem now is since I installed HL2 steam automatically installs to the XP Pro partition. I am now down to 333 mb freee on this partition. I can not afford to format all over and start from scratch, I would like to increase the 2 OS p[artitions to 15GB each

Can I do this with any free software?

CK

It can be done with free software. Go to www.knoppix.org and download an iso of knoppix. It's a free version of linux that runs entirely off CD (called a livecd). One of the programs that is included is called QTParted. It has the ability to resize ntfs partitions. Be warned though that, like partition magic, weird stuff can happen and cause data loss. I've experienced about the same fail rate with both.

MRD said:
It can be done with free software. Go to www.knoppix.org and download an iso of knoppix. It's a free version of linux that runs entirely off CD (called a livecd). One of the programs that is included is called QTParted. It has the ability to resize ntfs partitions. Be warned though that, like partition magic, weird stuff can happen and cause data loss. I've experienced about the same fail rate with both.

simple to use? I gotta get this done asap, is the norton program included on any of the systemworks discs. Wow knoppix is a huge file, anyways since it is free I am d/l it now. Hopefully it does not puke on me.......

Last edited:
Fr3@k3r said:
Partition magic is available by itself or yes on system works disk

Nope on my System works 2005 Premier edition N Partition magic is not included. I have tried to d/l knoppix 2x now both from different ftp/http sites and at the very end there is an error and the file is corrcupt. The files are large also like 650+ mb

Still searching for a solution

Hmm very strange. Try to download Overclockix then, it's a derivative of Knoppix made by a Senior Member on these very forums (Arkaine). It should include it as well. Knoppix is certainly not the only distro out there including QTParted, it's a common (and small) utility. It was just one that came to mind. The file you are downloading is not just QTParted, it's a fully functional operating system on a CD, it has everything. I'm not sure why it will not download, I've never had that issue.

QTParted is very easy to use. The interface is fully graphical and looks a lot like partition magic. I have both QTParted and Partition Magic, and they are quite similar, but QTParted is free.

If you can't get Overclockix to download, PM Arkaine and ask him why, as he puts it out.

Back