• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptor XP Install doesn't boot with out install CD.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InfiniteThought

I slip stream XP Pro SP2 to install on my raptor drive, but kept my old OS on the Maxtor drive. Last night, I changed the drive letter for my Raptor OS partition to C and formated my old OS install on the Maxtor drive. This made the system unbootable. I figured I screwed myself, being the Raptor install wasn't that old to begin with, and all important files protected, I just went ahead and reinstalled the OS on my Raptor partition. The install was successful, or so I thought...

When I removed the install CD and set the BIOS to boot on the Raptor drive, the system was unable to boot. I mean as if there is not Windows install on the Raptor at all, it says system boot failure, please insert system disk. So I put the install disk back in, let it get through the "press any key to boot off CD to continue", after which I'm able to boot into windows.

I tried running the system repair, I've tried doing fresh install, nothing! No difference, I still need the install CD to boot on my Raptor. I'm starting to think it's a hardware problem. At this point I'm completely lost. What else can I try? Is this a hardware problem, or is it simply a software install problem?

Thanks.

Apparently there were files that remained from my previous XP install even though I formatted. Windows attempted to boot from those files, I discovered this by unplugging the Raptor, where upon booting I saw systemroot/hal.dll is missing, which indicated there were remnants from the previous install screwing things up. So I unplugged the Maxtor drive and everything booted like it should. I had to dump 120GBs of data onto my Seagate to completely format the whole entire Maxtor drive. Now I moving the files back.

Anyone had a problem like this before. Very strange that Windows would try to boot from a previous partition even though it had been formated. Inserting the install disk probably provided a reference to the Raptor windows install.

Back