• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I re-locate pagefile to a seperate hard disk?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d3v

Hi all, I've heard a lot about re-locating your pagefile to a seperate physical disk can greatly improve system performance but I have a couple of questions...

1. Does connecting the hard disk to a seperate channel offer greater performance than if connected to the same channel the windows hard disk is on?

For example if I put my primary hard disk which will be used for Windows, programs, games, ect on channel 0 and put the hard disk I intend to use for my pagefile on channel 1, would that be better than if I simply put them both in master/slave config on a single channel together???

2. The hard disk I will be using for the pagefile is very old and is, I would imagine, considerably slower compared to the disk I will be using to install windows, apps, games, ect onto.

Does that matter???

Thanks in advance.

Yes relocating the pagefile to a seperate physical disk can be helpful. And yes, it is best to have HD's on seperate channels of the IDE bus when possible. If this other disk is old and slow, I would say you would be taking a step backwards in performance re the pagefile if you move it to the slow disk.

nikhsub1 said:
Yes relocating the pagefile to a seperate physical disk can be helpful. And yes, it is best to have HD's on seperate channels of the IDE bus when possible. If this other disk is old and slow, I would say you would be taking a step backwards in performance re the pagefile if you move it to the slow disk.

Thanks for the quick reply!

It looks like I will be keeping it on one disk then :(

How significant is the performance gain?

And the hard drive I use can be seen HERE

With that stat information, could you reccomend a drive I should get for my pagefile?

Another the same or could I get away with something cheaper???

What are the performance stats to look out for to detemrine weather a drive would be ideal for pagefile? Just spindle speed, access time or what???

Thanks.

If the drives are both on the same channel it would defeat the purpose of moving the pagefile to the second drive in the first place. Also, if you don't use the pagefile much, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure it is in the same partition as your OS. Your applications should be there too.

Back