• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows equivalent to Apple's iLife

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thor17usa

I have been looking at several windows applications for photo and video editing. Can someone recommend a Windows-based software package or several pieces of software that would be an equivalent to Apple's iLife '05 package.

Right now, I have the following done:
Google's Picasa = iPhoto
iTunes is on both OSes

iMovie, iDVD and Garageband are ones I cannot match yet. Any ideas?

I don't know what kind of capabilities it has but iMovie could be equivalent to something weak like Windows Movie Maker, or something powerful like Avid.

iDVD I assume is just a Nero type thing, in which case, any of those types of programs would be a suitable substitute.

I'm going to chip in here and say that there really aren't any 'equivalents' to Apple iLife on the PC, simply because nobody's as good at writing simple, elegant software to do these things as Apple is.

That said, if you'd like to spend a cool chunk of change, Adobe Premier is a very good video editor. iMovie is much stronger than Windows Movie Maker. I don't know of a PC analog to iDVD, but that's because I do my DVD's on a Mac.

Captain Newbie said:
simply because nobody's as good at writing simple, elegant software to do these things as Apple is.
BS.

Apple isn't godlike at coding or UI. They are good, but anyone can be just as good.

doesnt the nero suite come with movie editing software of some kind? I remember I used it briefly a while back...

Would that me the Nero 7 you are talking about? I just looked it up and it seems to have a lot of new features. I am still looking through it, but it looks pretty cool.

yeah i think so - there are 3 nero suites afaik - the cd burner package, and 2 others with addons and extra software...theres a movie editor in one of the packages....

Would Adobe's Premiere Elements 2.0 be an equivalent program for Apple's iMovie program?

Back