• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SBS 2k3 + dhcp problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD Phreak

I have a server that I recently configured. Its running SBS 2K3 and is functioning as the DCHP server as well as the DC. It recently has begun to shut dchp down on its own, stating in the system event log that there is another DHCP server running at the same address as the 2k3 box. I have researched this on the net and things point to RRAS being the culprit, however I have followed instructions on those sites and it did not seem to help any. This is getting very irritating and Im not sure what to do at this point. Any help here is appreciated!

Well i figured out how to restart the service from the command line, and wrote a batch file to do so. I downloaded a scheduler program that allows me to schedule the job more effectively than the integrated task scheduler in windows. This runs the batch file every 3 minutes, simply running the start dhcp server command. I figure when i run this and the server is started it just returns a comment saying that it is already running. I dont think running it multiple times over and over would cause any problems but is there the possibility that this could cause some kind of memory leak?

Ok, fwiw its resolved.

The company that I built the server for had another company install some additional stuff that requires bootp. The integrated DHCP in the 2k3 box viewed that as another dhcp server (rightly so) and shut itself down. I had them move their bootp stuff to a different box and now things work fine.

Back