• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Warning to all: i975X Will Not Support Conroe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
jcw122 said:
What do they mean "platform refresh"?
Pin/Socket change oh joy! What a joke.... I was honestally going to buy an i975X too. Guess I'll be waiting for Yonah :(

looks like it will be like the 925 chipset we have the 925x then the 925xe. I'm still not excited about Conroe so I might just go AMD and M2 if this isn't a big upgrade over the 65nm CPU P4 i'll buy in January.

speed bump said:
looks like it will be like the 925 chipset we have the 925x then the 925xe. I'm still not excited about Conroe so I might just go AMD and M2 if this isn't a big upgrade over the 65nm CPU P4 i'll buy in January.
Quoted for truth and outcome.

this can't be true can't it? a new socket! intel are starting to P**S me off. all im going to do is buy a P5WD2 overclock to about 4.3GHZ and upgrade in 2007.

seriously? i though lga775 was staying the same for the forseable future with just minor chipset upgrades? damn, guess I wont be upgrading my intel 630 for a while then... :(

so the 945/955 are not compatible at all?? I find it strange how the 945 and 955 are so closely related, yet they singled out the 945 as not validated.

dicecca112 said:
Sent that image says 945 will not support conroe not 975.
If you read it closely it says "i975X will *require* a second revision to support the Conroe family" which means no. Not only that but the i955x and i945 will not support it either in its current form.

Most likely they are refering to a CPU socket change of a pin count. To what? I dont know but clearly its not a good sign

too early to tell methinks, looks like a revision of the 975 chipset will be necessary to run conroe, and 945 wont work... they wouldn't revise 955 with 975 out.

Whoa whoa whoa, where'd did this rumor of a socket change come from? It's been stated many times that Conroe will be a 775 CPU. The ES chips are 775, and every source I have read without exception has said that Intel itself has has already said that the Conroe will 775 and will be released 2H 06 and probably 4Q 06. These CPU's have already been fabbed, and trhey are massing now for a release in that timeframe.

Now, they haven't expressly said which chipsets would support Conroe, but they haven't said there would be a socket redesign at all.

Let's not junp to conclusions here.

As far as the Conroe not being a major leap in performance? Whaaaa? That CPU will have 4MB of cache, will run substantial cooler, will use the 65nm process, will support VT, and there will more than likely be "EE" vesrsions that will have 8MB of cache. Theer is no CPU currently or that will be released in the future that has performance anywhere near that level.

There is also talk of ULV versions which would run even cooler. The Conroe is a complete redesign. It is a brand new chip from the ground up. It is brand new architechture, and it will also have more efficient pipes. There are mnay improvements on the Conroe over current examples, and even the new runs of Cedar Mills. In fact, it will probably be THE chip that will retake the performance crown in benching and gaming.

3DFlyer said:
Whoa whoa whoa, where'd did this rumor of a socket change come from? It's been stated mnay times that Conroe will be a 775 CPU. The ES chips are 775, and every source I have read without exception has said that Intelk itself has has already said that the Conroe will 775 and will be released 2H 06 and probably 4Q 06.

Now, they haven't expressly said which chipsets would support Conroe, but they haven't said there would be a socket redesign at all.

Let's not junp to conclusions here.

As far as the Conroe not being a major leap in performance? Whaaaa? That CPU will have 4MB of cache, will run substantial cooler, will use the 65nm process, will support VT, and there will more than likely be "EE" vesrsions that will have 8MB of cache. There is also talk of ULV versions which would run even cooler. The Conroe is a complete redesign. It is a brand new chip from the ground up. It is brand new architechture, and it will also have more efficient pipes. There are mnay improvements on the Conroe over current examples, and even the new runs of Cedar Mills. In fact, it will probably be THE chip that will retake the performance crown in benching and gaming.

there has been no conroe ES. cedar mill / presler are just die shrunk prescott / smithfield. i'm looking forward to the new chips as well but there's very little info about there besides a few specs, it's too early to tell. i do, however, very much doubt a socket change.

edit: i hit submit a little too soon. presler isn't exactly a die-shrunk smithfield, it will be a true dual core, and it'll carry 4mb cache.

Last edited:
crimedog said:
there has been no conroe ES. cedar mill / presler are just die shrunk prescott / smithfield. i'm looking forward to the new chips as well but there's very little info about there besides a few specs, it's too early to tell. i do, however, very much doubt a socket change.

edit: i hit submit a little too soon. presler isn't exactly a die-shrunk smithfield, it will be a true dual core, and it'll carry 4mb cache.

There are some out there. Anandtech has already reported they are under NDA on them which means there's only so much they can discuss about them, but I'm certain a grid array change would not fall under NDA. I'm also certain that if there were a trend toward a completely new grid array we would've known about it a long time ago. Intel has always been good about keeping their roadmaps up to date. There just isn't any way they would release a new grid array without letting the market know about it. It's just not the way they do things.

Intel has gone on record saying that the Conroe will be 775. We have also had guys that work there say they have seen these personally, and they are indeed 775. They have seen them.

The ES chips are out there. I'm not making that up...I know that for a fact. I knew about these CPU's before people even knew that there were even going to be new runs of CPU's released. I knew about these CPU's right about the time 775 was just coming into existence. Let's just say I have a freind who is privy to certain information, and that information is not heresay, but it's from the "horses mouth" so to speak. :)

There is no architechtual reason, electronic reason, or electrical engineering reason to switch from a 775 platform. Theer never was, and there still isn't.

I can see a need for chipset compatibility, because Intel has always been known for keeping the best matched chipsets with their CPU's. When you change CPU's you should expect that, anything less would just be a "rigged" setup. Lot's of people complain about changing chipsets, but that is exactly why AMD has the problems it does. It does not match chipsets to a speciffic CPU, and they never will have a matched chipsets until they start making their own. Nobody knows a product better than the people who make it.

If you buy the best, you want a chipset that is matched...compatibily with other CPU's be damned! It's like a race car, you can have a race car compatible with a buch of engines and transmissions, but the one that is purpose built will blow the wheels off the one that is "universal".

If I buy a CPU, I automatically assume that I'm going to be buying a new mobotherboard that is optimized for it, and new RAM. Heck, I'm actually hoping that they go to DDR3 with the Conroe, but I doubt that will happen. When i buy a new system, I want bigtime improvements. I pay big money for big gains, not big money for small gains.

That's why I have waited as long as I have. I still have a 478 system, becasue there hasn't been anything, that would give me any real performance increase over what I have. It might shave 4 seonds off my Super Pi time, and increase my 3DMarks cores maybe a 1000 points, but I'm looking for 10 seonds drops, and 5000 point increases. I see that coming with this Conroe.

3DFlyer said:
There are some out there. Anandtech has already reported they are under NDA on them which means there's only so much they can discuss about them, but I'm certain a grid array change would not fall under NDA.

The ES chips are out there. I'm not making that up...I know that for a fact.

of course there is. it doesn't matter to us though. i say cedar mill and preslet ES chips are out there because we've gotten results from them, and seen them. i say conroe isn't because we haven't seen anything.

3DFlyer said:
I knew about these CPU's before people even knew that there were even going to be new runs of CPU's released. I knew about these CPU's right about the time 775 was just coming into existence. Let's just say I have a freind who is privy to certain information, and that information is not heresay, but it's from the "horses mouth" so to speak. :)

that's great for you and all but like the conroe ES chips existing it does us no good. if your friend gives you any information more interesting than sockets and release dates i'd love to hear it.

crimedog said:
of course there is. it doesn't matter to us though. i say cedar mill and preslet ES chips are out there because we've gotten results from them, and seen them. i say conroe isn't because we haven't seen anything.

that's great for you and all but like the conroe ES chips existing it does us no good. if your friend gives you any information more interesting than sockets and release dates i'd love to hear it.

NDA's would make that impossible. I'm sure he would love to, but then we wouldn;t even have the info that they even existed would we.

Performance without a doubt exceeds anything else out there there, or that is alatd for release. What that performance is is protected by NDA, becasue the final priduct is not out there yet, and samples are limited. It is a subtantial increas ein pefformance though. That is already known. :)

Sentential said:
Pin/Socket change oh joy! What a joke.... I was honestally going to buy an i975X too. Guess I'll be waiting for Yonah :(

Owch, that will blow! I thougth they weren't gonna do that.

the dual core's are 775 but they aren't "officially supported" in 915 and 925 boards. So while the package may be in 775 format, it's not necessarily a given that the pinout will be identical to what is available now.

Back