• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

when will we ever see good memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supergenius74

Just a thought, memory bandwidth is everything nowadays, I have read numerous articles about how memory speed sux compared to processor speed and gets worse all the time. Just think for a second, 6 years ago you bout a 486 dx2 that had a processor speed of 66 mhz and a memory speed of 66 mhz, imagine what it would be like to have a p3 1gig with 1gighz ram (pc1000). It's fallen behind 10 times slower in 6 years YIKES! What we need is faster and better ram and I'm not sure why we don't have it? pc133 has been out for 2 yrs! durring which time technology has moved from the .25 mic. process to the .15 mic. and soon the .13 mic. Also you can buy a new geforce with 3.8 ns DDR ram on it now thats around 500 mhz which by all accounts should be the fastest ram in the world so why can't we buy that for your systems, who's in control of this crazy system anyway? Feels like we're getting jipped to me, even DDR is not a real solution because it doesn't have twice the bandwidth that the name DDR would imply so it sounds like a quick fix more than a solution. Is the problem the motherboards and the chipsets that are holding back the industry? can they not make a system bus that runs at 1/2 the speed of the processor, they could 6 years ago...Is intel strongarming the industry making people use old technology that only they hold the patents on and you have to use it because thats what the contract says? man, I own a sytem board that will do 200 mhz fsb and I expected there to be ram to run at that speed by now i mean pc100 has been out for over 4 years and should be able to become pc200 by now man all this makes me mad. I don't want a via 266a mobo I want an bx-500 mobo with ram running at 500 2-2-2 I'm sure it could be done, if they can make processor that runs at 2000 mhz then they should be able to make some memory that runs at 500 mhz and slap it on a stick and shove it into a mobo. anyhow sorry for the rant I just didn't expect the future to suck so bad 2 years ago......:mad:

Ranting dude,

There is one reason why 3.8ns DDR isn''t out in DIMMs..because it would cost thousands of dollars! Even in this crazy memory market. Also QDR is coming, and it will be great, so just bide your time. "Jipped" is spelled gypped..it comes from the stereotype about Gypsies being spinthrift.

-Gabertooth

Re: cost

supergenius74 said:
maybe along time ago it would have but if you take the going rate for a geforce 2 ultra 64 meg with 3.8ns DDR modules it costs
170 bucks now the memory on the card can't cost more than half of the cards cost or it would not be practical to make it so lets say 85 bucks for 64megs now 256 would = 340 bucks (and yes i would pay 300+ for some 500 mhz memory if there was a board to use it) now last time i checked 340 is < not = "thousands of dollars". You may be highly educated when it comes to the spelling of and history of the word JIPPED and i am proud of you for that but you seem to be lacking in the logic department and if I were you I would avoid further posts... :D

Hey, hey hey!! No personal attacks. Let's keep this civil.

Back