• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P5WD2: Install WinXP with USB floppy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gloin

Registered
When installing WinXP on the RAID you need to press F6 and load drivers.
I cannot for the life of me get the system to recognize the USB floppy as "Legacy A" and get the installation to accept the drivers. Same goes for "Command Console" boot.
Am I doing something wrong? Some wrong BIOS setting?
I don't want to install the floppy back into my cabinet. (I had to when I installed). So I bought an USB floppy to get around this next time I have to install...

On my P5ND2-SLI it is impossible to use my USB floppy, although it detects the floppy and seems to pick up the drivers after hitting F6 and S to "specify additional device". When you get into the part where it begins to copy files, it asks you to insert the disk and will not get past this part. I changed to internal floppy for 5 mins and installed it.
Nevertheless you usually need not have 1.44Mb floppy on in the BIOS (first screen) and you must enable usb legacy support, and usb floppy disk support if you have it as an option. You can usually see the device in the boot sequence options if it is working. HTH

Gloin said:
When installing WinXP on the RAID you need to press F6 and load drivers.
I cannot for the life of me get the system to recognize the USB floppy as "Legacy A" and get the installation to accept the drivers. Same goes for "Command Console" boot.
Am I doing something wrong? Some wrong BIOS setting?
I don't want to install the floppy back into my cabinet. (I had to when I installed). So I bought an USB floppy to get around this next time I have to install...

Go into bios and set USB to legacy, then plug in the floppy to USB port, restart and install drivers. After XP searches the floppy, it might not list controller as being found, and instead of tellingit to install another device, just continue on and it will then start reading the file IASTOR.SYS off the floppy, and then when it comes time to select the HDD, it will be there.

RangerXLT8: See you have the same board. Have you gotten this to work?
I tried with booting into Command Console, hit F6 and had USB floppy connected. It does NOT find a floppy drive to read drivers off.

I never got windows to recognize the usb floppy so i just slipstreamed the Raid drivers onto xp install cd and that worked fine

Gloin said:
RangerXLT8: See you have the same board. Have you gotten this to work?
I tried with booting into Command Console, hit F6 and had USB floppy connected. It does NOT find a floppy drive to read drivers off.

Sure have got it to work, isntalled XP a couple times withmy usb floppy. Make sure in the bios you have USB 2.0 enabled, hispeed, and set to legacy. Put the ICH7 driver disk in the floppy and hit F6 yadad yada yada, when it says insert device driver disk hit ENTER or whatever(could be S or L) and it won't say it found the driver on the disk, but you'll see the floppy acctivity light and it will copy the file IASTOR.SYS off the disk and itwill work, if this does not work then it's your machine not recognizing the floppy drive.

If the floppy is not showing up during post with alll the other decives then that's your problem.

Back