• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good 3D rendering/modeling software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1twelve2

im begining my media journey, and i have all the photoshop, premire, flash etc. i was wondering what a good 3D modeling/rendering program would be. I haven't the slightest clue. i want something that lets me make things as detailed as can be... just to play around with of course :rolleyes:

any suggestions?

I personally don't use these. Though some things I am sure people wil lrecommend are,
1.Blender
2.Bryce
3.Maya
4.3D Studio Max
5.MilkShake.

You will need to check out prices though I know Maya has a free version I believe 3D Studio and MilkShake may also.

You main ones if you want to do any sort of production quality work and have options are as follows.

1) 3D Max
2) Maya
3) Lightwave
4) XSI
5) C4D

Overall most of these programs have a trial and most of them just released a new version so you can check out the latest and greatest of each of these products.

I personaly use 3D Studio Max. It was more user friendly to me then Maya when I wanted to try it and started 3D work. I have tried Maya since then but still can't get the hangof it.

XSI & Lightwave do have 64-bit versions of there software out and it does improve rendering let alone speed too.

Truely its all budget based as each one costs $$$

And as for detail, you are only limited by how much detail you personally can pack into the picture and how fast the computer is most of the time. Memory will hold you back on big renders depending on the program and the size/effects your rendering.

I have used maya and 3dsMax. I perfer maya over max because in maya It takes some learning how to do things but I like the results a lot better.

Before all my mods and projects I creat a CAD model in Milkshape3D. Its an 18 day trial then a small fee of 35USD. Its def. worth it if your looking to get into CAD modeling.

If you want user friendly use cinema 4d its cheaper than 3dsm and maya. Once you get the hang of cinema 4d and become a awesome modeller you'd be able to takle maya or 3dsm they have the same features pretty much. Or just get 3dsm many use it tons of tutorials you can purchase additional renders etc :D

Oh yeah cinema 4d is great with still renders people say the animating sucks with it but it depends on your own skill.

:) ok... i did some thinking (which is mostly a bad idea), but i read alot of articles, and decided that Maya Unlimited 7.0 is the creme of the crop right now.... so i got it...

WOW, is it hard to use!!! lol i am n00b, so this will take me SEVERAL months to get the hang of it... thanks for the input guys.. :)

Well all things can be done in these type of programs.... Something similar to these...
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/277543
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/279454

Both programs could show the same result, just different approtches. Now these are what I've made, and working on a few more models. And yes those are individual pieces ;)

It takes time and effort so do please do not give up when you start. BTW you might want to check out sites such as www.cgtalk.com for a good all around site on topics dealing with 3D and also lots of help will be present in these sites. Can also give you inside.

I use www.3d-palace.com , www.cgtalk.com, www.total3d.com as my main sites.

Back