• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant install windows xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lXlFUSElXl

Im tryin to install windows xp on an old system for a friend....everything is stock(walmart special). So when i load the cd and turn on the comp...i try to boot the drive by using F8....I get safe mode boot up...so I try F10 i get nothin....the delete key and i get nothin.....anyone give me any pointers on how to install the os?

How much ram is in that old system? Cause I know the minimum most recommend for XP is 256 and that's kinda skimpy.

yea that would be the problem.....old as in 800 mhz celeron, 64mb ram, 9 gb hd, cd-rom,so yea...

No XP for you! -Windows Nazi

You are going to need an older version of Windows for that computer. With more RAM I think you could use Windows 2000 though. Also, you could look into some Linux distributions which can run on that hardware.

Suse is rpm based, which makes it very painful to install new software. I'd try something like debian. Xandros and MEPIS are even easier than debian, but require more resources, which you don't have much of. The flashier, more user friendly linux distros are not all that much faster than windows really. The ability of linux to run well on old hardware comes from the ability to choose simpler window managers without all the bells and whistles.

You can run win 2k on a 500 mhz k6-2, but not with 64 mb of ram. It doesn't run decently under 256 mb really.

You'll need more ram, but the rest of the system should be fine.

I have an old 300 mhz latitude laptop with 128 megs that has XP installed. It's works fine going online, but that's about it. :)

I ALWAYS run windows 2000 pro on any system slower than 1ghz (sometimes even up to 1.3ghz systems). I had a pIII 450mhz that actually ran pretty nicely with win2k.

Get Win2k bro... it's just so smooth.

Uhm, if you're need need of SDRAM and have more slots available, then I'll send you some for free. I have no use for it.

Back