• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista Cannot install nvidia Drivers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why don't you install the vista drivers, they are available at nvidia's website.

Which video card is in the system with Vista? The video card must support the "Windows Vista Display Driver Model". I got the same error with the Nvidia Vista driver because my card does not. I also had to install the XP drivers in Vista.

These nVidia cards do:
Desktop:
* GeForce 7800 GTX GPUs
* GeForce 7800 GT GPUs
* GeForce 6800 GPUs
* GeForce 6600 GPUs
* GeForce 6200 GPUs
* GeForce FX 5900 GPUs
* GeForce FX 5700 GPUs
* GeForce FX 5600 GPUs
* GeForce FX 5200 GPUs
* GeForce PCX GPUs
Mobile:
* GeForce Go 7800 GPUs
* GeForce Go 7300 GPUs
* GeForce Go 6800 GPUs
* GeForce Go 6600 GPUs
* GeForce Go 6400 GPUs
* GeForce Go 6200 GPUs
* GeForce FX Go5700 GPUs
* GeForce FX Go5650 GPUs
* GeForce FX Go5600 GPUs
* GeForce FX Go5200 GPUs
* GeForce FX Go5100 GPUs
Workstation:
* Quadro FX 540
* Quadro FX 1000
* Quadro FX 1100
* Quadro FX 1300
* Quadro FX 1400
* Quadro FX 3000
* Quadro FX 3000G
* Quadro FX 3400
* Quadro FX 4000 SDI
* Quadro FX 4400
* Quadro NVS 280 PCI

Wait a minute, you mean the Xp work on the Vista, but the vista drivers don't work on it? If so that is interesting, do the xp work properly?

Is it related to the DRM stuff in Vista? (how information is supposed to be encrypted leaving the vid card)

Do you need a special vid card too? I thought you just needed a special monitor.

Avg said:
Wait a minute, you mean the Xp work on the Vista, but the vista drivers don't work on it? If so that is interesting, do the xp work properly?
It is that when I try to install the Nvidia Vista driver the installation errors out with the mentioned message. I guess it will only install if you have one of the supported video cards. My laptop's Geforce 4 440 Go is not on the list.

Installing the Windows XP driver under Vista works fine. It is a whole lot better than the slow as molasses installed VGA driver.

I think the reason why you can't use older cards is because they don't support SM2.0 which is a requirement of Vista, unless the 3d interface is disable.

MRD said:
Is it related to the DRM stuff in Vista? (how information is supposed to be encrypted leaving the vid card)

Do you need a special vid card too? I thought you just needed a special monitor.

No. AFAIK the monitor issue is for special HD encoding. If your using your computer as a media center you may need a special monitor for future DRM enabled DVDs. For standard computing and non fuxored media you should be fine with any monitor that supports the minimum resolution. In effect MS left it up to companies to decide if they want to screw over consumers or not.

The xp drivers work fine with vista. But the vista drivers fail to install. This is what I get while trying to install it.
error.jpg

You have to assume that not very many of us are infact beta testers so we haven't experience this glitch ourselves. I would email Nvidia and or MS and give them as much info as possible so they can try to fix it prior to rtm. The OS isn't suppose to come out for nearly a year and its still beta so you can't expect things to work perfect. Sorry I know I wasn't helpful but you may be stuck for now.

Back