• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Idle Process

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dittohead

hey folks

why exactly is this taking a lot of processing power?
usually its spiking at 90%

can anyone tell me what exactly its used for :)

cheers

it's the process which sends HLT commands to the CPU, to put it in more of an idle state. BIOS does not do this, which is why there are temp differences in between bios readings and windows readings.

System idle process is just where extra processing power goes so that it adds up to 100%. It's not actually doing anything, it's just cpu power waiting to be used when you need it. If you see 90% cpu on the idle process, that means your cpu is 10% used and 90% free.

Know Nuttin said:
it's the process which sends HLT commands to the CPU, to put it in more of an idle state. BIOS does not do this, which is why there are temp differences in between bios readings and windows readings.
I don't believe it's HLT, but actually NOP, since HLT...halts the processor. :shrug: But you're right anyway, it sets the CPU to idle.

Want to use your idle cycles for something good? Fold!

Uh oh! F@H vs. SETI faceoff!

System Idle Process, just as the name suggests, it is just your idle CPU cycles.

I never said any was better than another, it's just i back the project that already has 2.5 years of my processors' idle time invested in it.

IMO, folding is likley a better use of cycles, more likley to help humanity, and more likley to be realized within our life time. Seti is a passive project waiting for ET to scream "hey you over there!" across the galaxy... while folding is more of an active process of saying "hey, will this work?"

However, i already have 2.5 years or so of time on the seti project, and will continue to roll with it... i was just adverting for another option thats out there.

Bah, speak for your self, oracle will agrue that point with you very successfully.... supper computer time, is expensive, not really scarce :cool:

But hey, they do have the worlds biggest and fastest growing data center... growing at an astounding 1200-1400 servers a month.

Captain Newbie said:
I don't believe it's HLT, but actually NOP, since HLT...halts the processor. :shrug: But you're right anyway, it sets the CPU to idle.

Want to use your idle cycles for something good? Fold!
It's HLT allright :) HLT halts execution for a moment, which decreases the CPU's power usage. NOP merely runs nothing, which although is far from power draining, isn't nearly as good as stopping execution.

JigPu

Back