• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to view error logs???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newbienerd

Anyone know how to view the error logs, if lets say you BSOD and the puter restarts b4 you can read the BSOD error?? Where do I go to view such information????

Thanks!!!

It's under control panels, administrative tools, event viewer in windows 2k. YMMV with other windows versions.

it doesn't seem to contain information... the problem is that my computer restarts sometimes and I don't know why.. it just crashes.. BSOD (too short to read) and restarts. I tried scanning for worms of viruses. I have avg free and microsoft anti spyware. plus i use microtrend's house call to scan thourougly. so that's why I wanted to know where to look up error logs so that I might be able to see why it crashed. grrrr..

Try this right click on my computer the select properties/ advanced/ the click settings where it says system failure you should be presented with 3 things you can check you might want to uncheck 'automatically restart' the other two should be ok so once you get your error you can read it and if its a .dll googling the information provided should shed light as to how to fix it

You should also be able to find a file called "mini******.dmp" under "c:/windows/minidump/". ******=date in 110605 format. Open with wordpad.
This file is mostly junk/unreadable, but it might contain referances to files involved during crash
Code:
*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0xBFA4DF8F,0x91E4C990,0x00000000)
***  nv4_disp.dll - Address BFA4DF8F base at BF9BB000, DateStamp 434b4ba5
I copied this from a dump that was made when BF2 crashed a couple of hours ago...

I'll add, do a google for minidump reader. There are utilies that will read those minidump files.

i turned off restart and got this bsod:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

then at the very bottom.. the file listed was:

ALCXWDM.SYS

Anyone know what this is for or what may be causing it? I did have a nv4_disp.dll problem before and when I realized it was my card, I took it out (physically) and popped it back in to make sure it was in nice and tight and then reinstalled the drivers... but now there is this and I don't know what this is for.. Please help!!! Any ideas????

This is a long shot, but try to increase mem voltage. That's how I got removed my own bsod's refarding nv4_disp.dll during bf2. It could be something as "easy" as a failing mem-module.

Try reinstall the original sound drivers that came with the mobo or just get a updated version of that file and replace it if its possible as it could be in use

it was my sound driver. I uninstalled it and the backups and reinstalled the newest ones from the site. it's onboard.

I also had another one and it's called.. videoport.sys

it's microsoft... and doesn't seem to be linked with my NVidia card.. as far as I know... im testing for more errors.. if all else fails.. i might just start new. We'll see... hopefully I wont have to.

Sometimes it can give an error pointing to a specific driver when in reality there is a more serious problem involved, like disk corruption.

sigh.. i hope not... well... as soon as I turned off the restart.. it seems that the crashes are inconsistent... telling me things like:

- DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
-ALCXWDM.SYS
-VIDEOPORT.SYS
-Pagefault error in non-paged area
-plus other stuff I can't remember.

I decided to let my ram go on SPD. it was previously being clocked at 2.5-3-3-6.. they are generic Samsung RAM with TCCC chips in them.. running at stock v-dimm
I am letting them run at stock right now to see if that may be the problem..

Anyone wanna confirm my suspicions? Am I right to think that it might be a RAM problem? or am I way off track?? I think I'm starting to go of topic on this thread.. but if it is RAM.. then I will continue this thread on Memory section. So far, it seems to be driver issues. thanks for all the help thus far.

Back