• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2 BIOS editing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GFORCE100

Hi everyone,

Has anyone done some BIOS editing for the P5WD2 (including Premium)?

I ask because I want to unlock the hidden Vcore values Asus has imposed as a measure to stop people giving too much juice to their Prescotts.

Currently it only goes up to 1.700V. This is fine on Prescott CPU's but if anyone decides to relive some fun with a Gallatin 0.13 micron EE 1.7V isn't really that sky high.

It's really annoying how Asus overvolts at idle and undervolts under load with the difference being 0.1V.

Many thanks,

the board cannot do 1.7v at stock, why do you think it will do higher? vdroop mod will net you about 1.75v max, with the vcore mod you can push it well over 2v.

crimedog said:
the board cannot do 1.7v at stock, why do you think it will do higher? vdroop mod will net you about 1.75v max, with the vcore mod you can push it well over 2v.

Hi, thanks for your time in responding.

1) It can't do it no but when set to 1.6750-1.700V it will idle around 1.76-1.77V however under load it will drop down to 1.68.1.69V. If the voltage was nearer 1.8V to start with then under load this would drop to around 1.71V.

2) With the vdroop mod I can only find the photos on Akiba's server and those aren't overly clear in what's what and the steps involved. As a result

3) The voltage regulator on this board clearly supports over 1.7V, it's just they've (Asus) disabled it in the BIOS because most people will be using Prescott's and for them over 1.7V is too high anyhow.

With a Gallatin core that L3 cache needs the extra voltage if it's to ensure stability.

vdroop mod is easy, you just put a VR set at 30k on the two points. i haven't even had to adjust mine, but if you wanted to you'd lower the value. i saw much better results after the vdroop mod (with no vcore mod even)

crimedog said:
vdroop mod is easy, you just put a VR set at 30k on the two points. i haven't even had to adjust mine, but if you wanted to you'd lower the value. i saw much better results after the vdroop mod (with no vcore mod even)

Anywhere I can see some high resolution photos of a modified board? Where did you buy the components you needed?

crimedog said:
http://www.akiba-pc.com/P5WD2_MOD/P5WD2_Vcore_Droop.jpg
that's about as clear as you can get. for the VR's etc check out the vmod section. if you haven't done this kind of thing before i highly recommend you practice first.

Thanks again. Pitty that they cut the photo so the entire mod can't be seen. To be honest it seems it can be stuck on with some clear tape if the mod isn't meant to be permenant.

Back