• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose a mobo!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

REH

Registered
Okay, basically I want a mobo that can overclock well. Currently I'm running a basic Celeron 2.2ghz processor, and will be upgrading to a P4 soon, so I want a mobo that will run both, 400 and 800 FSB. And also my ram is 266mhz, so that would have to be able to work also. Also, I'm on a budget, so nothing too pricey. Any ideas?

-REH

Last edited:
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
Do you want to get a motherboard that will work both with your current celeron and your next purchase?
If so then you probably want to get a canterwood (or cheaper springdale) motherboard made by either asus or abit.
What p4 are you thinking of purchasing?

Vio1 said:
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
Do you want to get a motherboard that will work both with your current celeron and your next purchase?
If so then you probably want to get a canterwood (or cheaper springdale) motherboard made by either asus or abit.

Thanks for the welcome! I was in need of some info and stumbled upon this great forum!

Hmm, Havn't picked an exact one yet, Definitely 478 pin to fit the board, and Definitely 2.8ghz with HT or above.

-REH

Nathan0490 said:
Socket 775 is the newest socket.

ive heard good things about this mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131519
I know the 775 is the newest socket, but if you read my first post, you'll see why I want a 478, Because I currently have a celeron that I want to fool around with OC'ing before I get a new processor. And I want both to be able to use the same board.

-REH

That motherboard you provided the link for has integrated video and no AGP slot. Personally, I wouldn't get that, but maybe this is for business apps and never any gaming? If you want to O/C and if you plan to upgrade to a P-4 later, I would spend a little more now to get a good motherboard because it's the heart of your system. Get an Abit IC7-G or Asus P4C800. Yes, they cost a little more than some that are available, but they are well worth it.

I ended up getting the ASUS P4S800D-X. Anyone used this mobo before? Any reviews? The specs seem to be pretty good, and overclocking ability seems to be there,

ASUS JumperFree
ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)CPU, Memory, and AGP voltage adjustableSFS (Stepless Frequency Selection) from 100MHz up to 300MHz at 1MHz increment
Adjustable FSB/DDR ratio, fixed AGP/PCI frequencies

batboy said:
Gawd... that's a crappy SIS chipset. Should of got an Intel chipset like we told you. Good luck.

Actually, if you read before you post, you'd see that nobody said anything at all about the chipset, nor any suggestions about a mobo for what I need. It would almost appear that you just like adding posts in an attempt to possibly get your post count up?

-REH

REH said:
Actually, if you read before you post, you'd see that nobody said anything at all about the chipset, nor any suggestions about a mobo for what I need. It would almost appear that you just like adding posts in an attempt to possibly get your post count up?

Actually, I did read before I posted (see quotes listed below). Why would I need to inflate my post count? I'm a senior member (see those blue stars) and have been on this forum for almost 5 years.

batboy said:
Get an Abit IC7-G or Asus P4C800.

Both of these motherboards use Intel 875 chipsets. I realize now that you probably didn't know that, but you certainly could of asked.

Vio1 said:
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Canterwood = Intel 875 chipset and Springdale = Intel 865 chipset.

Oh well, it's not the end of the world. At least you picked an Asus that does have overclocking features. Also, if that has an AGP/PCI lock, then you should have no problem getting a modest O/C out of it. It's probably better than your current motherboard. Once you get it installed, we'll help you overclock that Celeron.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry about being rude. I'm completely new to motherboard swapping etc, and didn't really know what features to look for. I just picked the one that was in my price range and had the features that I was looking for. Yeah, definitely has to be better than the one I'm running right now lol. I'm running a Dell Dimension 2400 mobo.. Completely locked bios as far as OC'ing goes.

Thanks for the letting me know I'll be able to turn here for help once I receive the items.

-REH

One note of caution... sometimes Dell uses non-standard power supplies, cases, and/or motherboards. Especially be careful about the power supply.

batboy said:
One note of caution... sometimes Dell uses non-standard power supplies, cases, and/or motherboards. Especially be careful about the power supply.

Yeah, I know the power supply is a standard size atx supply, I've already switched cases, so I'm not so worried about that. It was funny when I ordered the case I have now, because after I ordered it I read online about how Dell sometimes makes their items not fit into other cases. I lucked out on that one.

But back to the new mobo, What is your opinion, will it serve my purpose? Think it will be a decent overclocker? etc. I'm anxious to see what this poor old celeron can do. (2.2ghz celeron)

-REH

The original P4S800 series didn't have a PCI lock which really sucked when you tried overclocking. I haven't looked at the specs of the one you ordered, but if it does indeed have the PCI lock, then it'll be ok with your Celeron. Probably no reason to spend a lot of cash on socket 478 anyway since it's a dying platform. Looking down the road, I'd be careful about what P-4 to get when you decide to upgrade. That probably is not the best Prescott overclocking motherboard. In case you didn't know, there are different P-4 cores. Your Celeron 2.2 is based on the Northwood core. Most new P-4 processors will be Prescott cores which run hotter and are power sucking pigs (but on the right system they are great overclockers if you have cooling and PSU to handle 'em). To keep your budget down, I'd look for a used Northwood P-4 533 or 800 bus CPU or maybe a Celeron D (yes, they are a Prescott, but they run a little cooler and are cheap, plus they O/C great). Most of the 2.4, 2.53, and 2.66 Celeron D bad boys will O/C 3.5 to 3.8 gig with good cooling. Heck, most of the time they can do 3.0 to 3.2 gig on stock cooling and default voltage. Your current 2.2 Celly will be lucky to hit 2.8 gig and has half the cache of the Celly D.

Good information :) Well, being that 478's will be dying down in the near future as far as a processor upgrade goes, I'd probably be better off getting a Celeron D when it comes time to upgrade this. I wonder what a Celeron D and an original Celeron compare like? And I wonder what the Celeron D would run like period. Ah, I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Until then... Can't wait for the new mobo to get here lol.

Here's the link to the mobo on the Asus website, Under the download link is the manual if you want to take a peek about the PCI lock.
http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=407&l1=3&l2=12&l3=45

Thanks for the help.

Back