• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much unbuffered RAM can I use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tuxbert

In general, is there anything stopping me from using three unbuffered sticks of Corsair 256meg cas2 PC2400 DDR ram in my motherboard? Or three sticks of any non-registered ram, for that matter?

I've seen it mentioned in a few reviews that, for example, certain motherboards only support "2 slots unbuffered, 1 registered" out of three slots total.

Is the need for registered RAM once you reach that number of sticks an issue with the motherboard, or with the memory? I can't seem to find much info on motherboard manufacturers' websites as to what their boards will support.

I'd rather go with three 256meg sticks of cas2 than two 512 meg sticks of cas3, but if I will only be able to use two in my system...

Thanks.

How's my first post?
Call 1-888-OY-SQUID

So, what motherboard is it?

Can always shoot an email to the manufacturer regarding these things. Depending on the maker of your mobo, they can be pretty quick about answering these types of questions.

NotHisTechiness said:
is there any real point since all windows uses 384 megs of ram while the rest just plays with itself?
W2KPRO will benifit with more ram than 384Mb. It's hotter were I live:D

Tuxbert - Usually if you got 3 slots they are usually for unbuffered RAM usually. I guess we need to know what MoBo you got so we can help you, usually:D :D :D

Back