• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winamp 5.11 Playing Video

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scott9027

I have Winamp 5.11, and it says it can play video. How can I make this my default video player and override Windows Media Player. I tried changing the settings in Control Panel > Folder Settings, as well as disabling Windows Media Player's "make this the default player for" settings. I still can't seem to make my Winamp play video. Any suggestions?

I'm surprised fooling around with file associations in Explorer doesn't fix it for you...try that again, or look under Winamp's own "File Types" page in Preferences, and see if that does the trick.

The choices when I right-click are Open Link and Open Link in New Window. And I set them in Control Panel and Winamp Preferences > File Types multiple times, but no success.

Could the problem be that I have SP1 instead of SP2?

Scott9027 said:
The choices when I right-click are Open Link and Open Link in New Window.

This sounds like you're trying to play something from a website...what violineb is referring to is in Windows Explorer. If you can, in that "Open Link" etc. dialog box, if there's something like "Save Target As", that will download the file, where you will then be able to do the "Open With" thing.

Back