• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit AW8-MAX system crash. Help :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MmCheeto

OK last few weeks I have been fighting a system crash issue. All I can really say is what isnt cauing it. Here are some stats

Mobo = Abit AW8-MAX "settings to default"
CPU = P4 2.8g Smithfield HT "it is unOCed to firgure out what the prob is"
Ram = 4 sticks 512 OCZ Gold "Stock volt atm"
VidCard = BFG Gforce 7800 OC "UnOCed"
Sound = onboard
HDD = 2x250gig WD SATA1 on stripe raid
Cooling = Robust water cooling see sig for details.

What happens is when I play a game say for example , City Of Villans. It could take 30min to 2hr sometimes but it will crash atleast 2 times every night within 4hrs. A more intence game like HalfLife2 with all the settings on high will crash in under 10 min. Now the odd thing is they have a new demo called HalfLife2 Lost Coast. At first try I got to walk around and it crashed in 5 min. Second try I turn on the commentary and it crashed in 30seconds. CPU temp and GPU temp never go above 38c under full load. So far I have tride swapping ram sticks , Putting more fans on some of the hotspots of my rig , system maint like defrag and disk check , and few other minor things. The bios is up to date and so is uGuru. Only backround program is Zonr Alarm but it gets shut off for testing. Now I know thats not near enuff info to solve some sort of problem like this but a little advice will go along way . Thanks in advance. :bang head Will be doing lots of that for a wile :)

I do know the first BIOS revision had some problems with the dual core, but an update should cure that bug. So, if you haven't already done so, update the BIOS first thing.

Yea bios is up to date. Kinda odd though I didnt have this issue with the older version. I simply suspect though I dont have any facts to back that up. Never payed much attention to it till I started having problems.

Well I just updated my Nvidia drivers and that seamed to help out alot. HL2 Lost cost runs flawless witch is good cause it uses most of the system resorces. A few other games though still crash after a given time. Im thinking it might be a combo of issues starting with video drivers. I guess the only thing I can do is update every driver I can

Found it. It was a little file named CoolBits. Its used to allow users of many Gforce cards to overclock there video cards by putting a little file in the reg. Mine is ether out of date sence I updated vid driver and not the coolbits or Nvidia has done something nasty. All is well now. Thanks Batboy

Back