• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Gigs of ram worthwhile?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrashOveride

So I am gonna be getting a tablet, new monitor and some memory pretty soon here but I'm wondering how much memory I should be needing for some serious photoshoppping? Real high res drawings and the like.
Is two gigs worth it?

CrashOveride said:
Real high res drawings and the like.

How high res? What's your typical layer count? What filters do you generally use? Do you typically work in JPG or PSD/TIF?

For batch image processing with typically 3 adjustment layers and 2-3 normal layers of Smart Sharpen, large-radius USM, and Noiseware, with the generation of saturation and edge masks in between, I find 2 GB to be essential. However, if you're doing from-scratch drawings and high res is a desktop resolution for you, I would think 1 GB would suffice. It's hard to tell without knowing more specifics about your use.

You never realize how much you miss having enough RAM until you need it. I have 2gigs and only really tap into it when playing games or using Photoshop CS, but it is worth it to me. Besides my 2gig should hold me over for a GOOD while before I "need" to upgrade.

While its true that PS loves RAM, you can still do a whole lot on it with "only" 1 GB. That's why I was asking about usage, as there's Photoshop and then there's intense Photoshop, since it serves as both a creation and complex editing tool. Generally, I'd say just go for 2, but consider the system in his sig; the tablet and monitor will last long, but everything's changing to DDR2, so if you can, why not save the money towards something with future compatibility?

I'll tell ya going from HIGH speed ddr600 1gig kit to ddr500 on a 2gig kit is insane,

I couldnt play quake4 in ultra settings with 1 gig even though my 7800gtx can handle it with 2Xaa anf 4xaf at 1280X1024 easily, the amount of ram the textures and shaders took up slowed me to a virtual slide show LMAO

Now with 2 gigs at same settings in ULTRA settings OMG its so smooth its scary.

Minimizing games like HL2 and BF2 is trivial now, before the system would hang somewhat with 1 gig.

Also there is a quite evident added smoothness and speed in windows generally. I can see and feel i have 2 gigs in my box now in every way.

I went for the ddr500 gskills so I can have a ddr500 out the box and possibly more, their 3200's clock like ****, I found out the hard way. The ddr500's are $245, not bad at all.

In a game like battlefield 2 and the like its absolutly *CRITICAL* you have atleast 2GB. It made a tremendous difference in gameplay

Sentential said:
In a game like battlefield 2 and the like its absolutly *CRITICAL* you have atleast 2GB. It made a tremendous difference in gameplay

That may be true, but there are also games that don't require 2 GB. It's just like that with this question about Photoshop; there are ways to use it where you need everything you can get, and ways to use it where you might not need all the gobs of RAM in the world. Don't get me wrong, its not like going to 2 GB is bad or anything, it just might not be the best thing for him at this time. Then again, it might. It all depends on current use and future hardware plans.

mateo said:
How high res? What's your typical layer count? What filters do you generally use? Do you typically work in JPG or PSD/TIF?
I'll find out when I get my hardware but from the sound it looks like I'll get the two Gigs, thanks everyone:D

mateo said:
Generally, I'd say just go for 2, but consider the system in his sig; the tablet and monitor will last long, but everything's changing to DDR2, so if you can, why not save the money towards something with future compatibility?
I plan on upgrading to a nice laptop sometime early next year (when OSx86 and apple's next round come out - dunno if I'll ge one but I might) so this is just to hold me over and let me have fun with the tablet till then. Two gigs might help with a future media server too, no? Either way it's only a bit over a hundred bucks for some decent PC3200.

Right now I have a 2100+ Tbred B that runs at about 2gigs - you guys think it'd be worthwile to upgrade that for photoshoping as well (to an oc'ed 2800 barton or something?) or just wait it out?
I plan on doing drawings in much higher than desktop res with TONS of layers. Line drawings and coloring the line drawings. Depending on what sort of brushes are abailible I'd like something that mimics actual ink brushes, watercolor and some of those fancy brushes I've seen on deviantart like the blood one. Just to be safe I wanna be able to do everything.

Last edited:
CrashOveride said:
Right now I have a 2100+ Tbred B that runs at about 2gigs - you guys think it'd be worthwile to upgrade that for photoshoping as well (to an oc'ed 2800 barton or something?) or just wait it out?

Wait it out- it sounds like you need capacity more than speed, and you aren't on any sort of submission deadlines. A 1.8 Dothan gets me by now, the slow speed does put me on nerves with deadlines, but for you that speed should be fine.

I plan on doing drawings in much higher than desktop res with TONS of layers. Line drawings and coloring the line drawings. Depending on what sort of brushes are abailible I'd like something that mimics actual ink brushes, watercolor and some of those fancy brushes I've seen on deviantart like the blood one. Just to be safe I wanna be able to do everything.

In that case, definitely 2 GB. Sometimes I forget how cheap RAM has gotten :shrug:, and for layer handling it'll help a bunch. Have fun with the art :)

Back