• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Agood utility for uninstalling programs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gablekevin

I want to know what a good utility is for uninstalling programs that wont uninstall from the control panel. Also if it includes options to get rid of files that havent been used for a long time that would be great.

thanks

I think "spybot search & destroy" or "ccleaner" should be able to help you out. Ccleaner (crap cleaner) is great for clearing out temp files and cleaning up the registry. Both proggies are free.

Why exactly do they not work through add/remove programs? What is the error that occurs, if any?

Your Uninstaller is great for just uninstalling programs, but its a free trial. CCleaner, as JerMe mentioned does more or less everything you mentioned, although with both you're likely to be left with excess files behind that you'll have to periodically search and discard afterwards.

Even given CCleaner's advanced features you will still have to do some tedious searching within it to completely erase all traces of the program you wish to remove. I'd first try CCleaner and if that doesn't work give Your Uninstaller a try and then follow it up with CCleaner. The last 1% is the most tedious to get rid of, especially for the more obnoxious programs, like AIM.

Having said that the problem you are referring to might be more abstract then simply removing the program to remove the problem as BrutalDrew alluded to, and in that case uninstalling the program likely won't help you in solving it. All depends.

Last edited:
Back