• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do ASUS and Audigy Mix?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GhostWriter

Anyone have clues as to why adding a Audigy 2ZS PCI to, an otherwise normal ASUS P5wd2 mobo would result in a DMA-1 Fatal Error, System Halt message from BIOS?

Prior to adding the Audigy card I disabled High Def Audio in the AMI BIOS and removed the RealTek software and drivers with XP-Add Remove Software>>Shutdown>>Power-off PSU>>added card>>Power-on PSU>>Hit Start>>One short beep from POST =good>>AMI BIOS Version Info>>DMA-1 Fatal Error>>All Stop.

Power-off PSU>>Remove Audigy card>>Power-on PSU>>Hit Start>>Normal Boot to XP.

Note: Same result from a SB Live PCI card although both work without problems in old 4100 Dell

Thanks, Don

Specs
ASUS P5WD2
Intel P4 650 @3.4
Corsair DDR2 PC800
WD SATA2 250 w/16MB
ATI Radeon X800XL PCI-e w/256 GDDR3
Thermalright XP-90c w/ 92mm PWM
Coolermaster Patorian
OCZ ModStream 520 w
(2) Liteon CD/DVD x16 Burners
Onboard RealTek Audio (for now)
Audigy 2ZS PCI
Windows XP Pro w/SP2 + all Updates

Is it the same thing regardles of what pci slot you use? Maybe it doesn't like to share IRQ with whatever it's sharing with now?

I have just added an X-Fi soundcard to my system (P5WD2 Premium) without any issues. I just disabled the onboard audio in BIOS, didn't even bother to uninstall the previuos realtek sotware. I also have a pci tv-tuner card and 2x videocards in my motherboard.

I use BIOS version 0422. Haven't bothered to update as it works like a charm.

Could it be that uninstalling the RealTek software could be causing the problem? I wonder. What sets DMA anyway?? BIOS or OS.

I think I'm in over my head.

Thanks, Don

Nah, it shouldn't really be a problem uninstalling unneccessary software/drivers. If any of us should have problems on that account, it would be me for sure. I was just too lazy.

I believe the IRQ's are shared in hw, however when using Win XP it's possible to assign virtual IRQ's above what is available in hardware. At least that's how I understand it.

In the bios under the "advanced" menu, make sure Plug and play OS is set to "Yes" if you use WinXP, no will let the bios assign all IRQ's so if one setting doesn't work, maybe the other will. Also make sure and that all the "IRQ-XX assigned to" are set to "pci device" This I believe is the default setting. Also on the "power" page if you set ACPI APIC to "enabled"

Now of course it could just be that the motherboard doesn't like the audigy 2 card, but I've had my Audigy 2 card in my P5WD2 as well, so if changing any of the bios settings doesn't do anything for you, I'm not really sure anything will.

Back