• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor/Ati/driver issue. Black screen.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newman_SCO

A while ago I updated my graphics drivers and each time I booted the screen went black after the xp logo. I managed to get it going with old drivers again.

I decided to try and update them again. Each time I get a black screen again.

I have searched the forums on the rage3d forums and people say if you use the older drivers it will work.

I have tried 3.4, 3.6, 4.8, 4.9 and 5.11. I have tried others from omega aswell.
Each time using driver cleaner in safe mode and search and delete all ati files.

I cannot get a set to work. Any idea what my problem is?

Sony 19" Flat HS-95
Radeon 9000 pro 128mb

note: I posted here as the graphics forum is more hardware related

I reinstalled XP+SP2.

The computer will not load the xp gui.

Either it is the psu, graphics card or motherboard?

Any advice? The psu is stripped of unnescessary items.

Weirdest problem I have ever had.

Admin could you move me to the appropiate forum. If you think it should be in another area.

I'd just stick with the old drivers if they work. =)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Hmm, I wonder if saying that is a bannable offense on ocforums. =p

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." lol

You sound like my old man.

Unfortunately I can't even get a gui and safe mode displays nothing in device manager.

------------
*Necessary (spelling) my post above^

Could it be that the newer drivers are trying to force a higher refreshrate than what the display can handle(75hz)?

My Sony 19" flat can handle up to 75Hz.

On XP reinstall I think it defaults to 60Hz?

I tried another smaller resolution CRT this evening and resulted in the same result :(

Newman_SCO said:
My Sony 19" flat can handle up to 75Hz.

On XP reinstall I think it defaults to 60Hz?

I tried another smaller resolution CRT this evening and resulted in the same result :(

Strange, what about trying to boot into "safe-mode"?

I can manage to get in to safe mode but displays nothing in device manager.

I am discharging my psu overnight and will give it ago tomorrow. And maybe try another psu. The highest spare I have is 350watt.

XP SP2 setup disk results in black screens when booting in to windows.

XP SP1 setup disk boots the desktop fine.

XP original setup disk boots to the desktop fine.

I'm scared of updating my XP SP1 installation. As it could fail again

Back