• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

accessing "MY DOCS" folder from and old HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chittnp

Ok, my old laptop died on me, and I need to get some of the files from "my documents" from the its HDD. So I bought an external USB enclosure, hooked it up and tried to access it....but it says permission denied. I beleive this is due to having set up a log-in username and password on the laptop. Does anyone knowa way around this? I'd really like to get my data back!!

Thanks

Linux will do the trick. A good quick easy solution is to download and burn a copy of knoppix, mount the hdd, and get the files. Easy as that. And you are sure that your HDD didnt fry too ?

Another vote for a linux livecd here. Knoppix or Overclockix.

should I go with a cd version of knoppix or the 2 dvd version....dont really know what im doing here...but Ill give it a shot

Centercore - I am running XP home, according to the link you sent me I cant disable simple file sharing in XP Home edition...If I was running PRO, like I should be, then that may have worked.

its not to hard at all. Just download the newest knoppix ( cd version ) about 700 mb. Burn it using nero or w/e you use to burn your Iso's. Once youve done that much your almost done. Then just pop the copy of knopix in your cd/dvd rom. reboot with the cd in the cd/dvd rom. And press enter to boot into the knoppix live cd. ( you must have your cd/dvd rom enabled as a boot device in your BIOS to boot the cd.) If you get any errors while booting just post them here, as you may have some buggy hardware that linux doesnt support very well. Other wise the default boot peramater is good. Once you get to the desktop you need to open up a terminal. you can do this by right clicking on the desktop and choosing "open terminal" or something like that ( im not sure if KDE uses that or gnome)...or you can use a shortcut on the bottom panel, it looks like a little monitor with a black screen. once you get there you are about two steps away from being done. Im not sure what type of file system you had but I will assume it was NTFS. type " mount -t ntfs /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda1"...you might have an error due to not knowing the name of you r partition so post if that dont work. and lastly type " cd /dev/hda1" then ls to list all your previous files. "cd" to change directory and then you can copy the files to your network or wherever you want to save them. good luck!!

grabbing a copy of overclockix.....I've been putting off taking the plunge into *nix...so hopefully this will be easy :/

Under more information it mentions you have to boot up in safe mode if using xp home...

so as long as you get the security tab you should be fine I dont think I disabled simple file sharing myself even though I use xp pro it just worked.

do you get a security tab when you right click my doc... properties?

CORRECTION: The above poster said to type "cd /dev/hda2". It should be "cd /mnt/hda2" Also, mount /dev/hda2 to /mnt/hda2 or /dev/hda1 to /mnt/hda1. It will work ok if you mount otherwise, but it gets confusing as you would expect hda1 to be at /mnt/hda1, not /mnt/hda2.

If you have any problems with Overclockix, post on the Alt OS forums or pm Arkaine23. Overclockix is his own distro, and he's generally very glad to help if you have problems.

The CD version is fine if you have a choice between CD and DVD versions.

Generally it's very easy to use, although once in a while it will have trouble autoconfiguring something or other.

You can also mount windows shares on other computers if you want to copy info to them over the network.

Back