• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Website editing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
tspier2 said:
Nvu is better. It is an alternative to Frontpage, and it runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. http://www.nvu.com/

I've not bothered to download it yet, but after a thorough review of their website, NVU seems to have some significant shortcomings for the serious web developer when compared to Dreamweaver 8:

1. While tabs are great for surfing the web, the ability to simultaneously see the code view and layout view is better. It's very helpful for very large pages/blocks of code since selecting an element in layout view will position the cursor/select in code view.
  2. The lack of dynamic database-driven features means that any dynamic elements will need to be hand-coded. While some of the DW8-generated code is a bit bloated, many of the features are not too bad and can be big time savers over hand coding. The graphic SQL generator/analyser is also a very nice way to quickly create complex SQL statements.
  3. The thousands of available extensions for DW8 make many complex tasks a one-click affair. In an environment where time is of the essence, this extensibility is a significant asset.

DW8 has many more features over NVU that I'll not delve into here. As the NVU site says, however:

Nvu is designed to be extremely easy to use. This makes it ideal for non-technical computer users who want to create an attractive, professional-looking web site without needing to know HTML or web coding. Nvu allows you to create web pages as easily as you would type a word processing document, and then publish them to your web site just by saving the document. This makes it ideal for home use, students, marketing professionals, general business use, and so on.

For the novice or dabbler, it might not be a bad choice, and ANYTHING will be better than the pure crap Word spews out. The price (free) is certainly attractive enough. For the serious/ aspiring to be serious developer, however, it's shortcomings would significantly impact productivity. Due to this, I'd have to say that while NVU might be a better choice for the novice designer, it is not better than DW8.

Notepad++ is also another good one. It allows syntax highlighting for multiple programming languages, and it works for HTML, XML, and PHP as well. Therefore, you can create your website easily, and efficiently with this Open-Source text editor.

Here is a Screenshot... (Click it to Enlarge)

Notepad++.JPG

hafa said:
Gee whiz, tspier2. Is "Girls Gone Wild" PHP or XML? :cool:

Heh...well actually, I decided to kill two birds with one stone. I was in another thread, and someone needed an example of a poll in HTML, so I quick wrote something up, and took a screen shot of it for this thread, while posting the source in the other thread. ;)

Back