• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing Comp out of network neighborhood

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Hey guys...

Is there a service or program to hide my Server from being in the Network Neighborhood list? I want to still connect to other computers to get files, but i dont want anybody to see + connect to this one.

Any other options?

Thanks, ps2cho

Well, just don't set up any shares, and no one will be able to do anything but see it in a browse list.

Does it matter if they see it in the list?

Hmm, I don't know if that is possible. If you're in the workgroup, I think they can see you.

I might be wrong though, I'm not totally sure about that.

Very likely.

When I enable the nViada Firewall (nForce4), and use the Medium setting, my computer is not displayed on other machines in "My Network Places".

Noting that "Network Neighborhood" was mentioned in the initial post to this thread, Windows 9x is probably being used. I am not too familiar with Windows 9x networking.

I think that the "Internet, Networking, and Security" is a better place for this thead (although here is fine); it may receive more replies.

Captain Newbie said:
Uhhmmmmmmm...it is really none of my business, but...why?

Cos i get shouted at everytime my computers on and im not using it... :/
I gotta keep it on so that i can retrieve my java files from home at school...but if i tell my parents that...they just say well you should find another way. They are unreasonable and i offered to pay the cost of electricity and its still just a plain no...Doesn't make any logical sense whatsoever. They dont loose anything...and its not their computer, or in their room...or makes any noise or heat...

I think ill just change the workgroup and be done with it..

That's annoying. I leave all my comps on 24/7, would hate to have to shut them off.

MRD said:
That's annoying. I leave all my comps on 24/7, would hate to have to shut them off.

look i wount tell you again... SHUT THEM DOWN! :p

Nah my mum was the same i just kept leaving it on tho if she wanted it off she would have to figure out how to turn it off lol but in your case i suppose your mom knows how! how about making a new switch for the power and hiding it somewhere or make it removable! lol that way she can keep moaning and in the end she'll get fed up of it i know my mum did ;)

oh and im sure that if you typr in google "hide network in neghbourhood" it would find a way :)

I know it can be done in Samba, if you only need it to function as a fileserver.

Dude, your parents are technically savvy? Cool! If Mom and Dad want you to turn it off, I'd turn it off :)

That said, I hope you're at least folding when it's turned on.

Other than hiding it, a good investment you should make is a 1-GiB thumb drive. Put your documents folder and your Java files on there and be done with it.

nah i wanna keep it as a webserver, idle mIRC channels for my clan, and run the HLDS Server. Its hidden under my bed...but i just didnt want them to KNOW its under there cos if they saw it on the network, they would try and find it :eek:

Back