• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cisco Clean Access Agent

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grumperfish

My university (in DC) recently began using Cisco's "Clean Access Agent" product. It supposedly monitors Resnet Windows-running computers for MS security updates and required Norton updates (don't get me started on the whole being forced into using Norton thing)...

My problem is that any usage beyond simply browsing the internet to up to 30% of available networking bandwidth causes my ethernet connection to die. Once this happens I have been forced to completely reboot as the program shuts down (Login part is greyed out even after reinitializing the program). It's at the point that I cannot use AIM while downloading files or websurfing. And this is on a fresh XP install with Spybot SD, MS Anti-spyware, and Ad-Aware installed. I have to install the program and then remove it to get 'unrestricted' access every other reboot.

I'm wondering if any other students out there have had these problems?

grumperfish said:
<snip>
I'm wondering if any other students out there have had these problems?

I'm not too fond of these monitoring programs... thus I have cable internet now. If it is any consolidation, there are worse programs out there. Also, Clean Access can be buggy.

I say talk to your universities' tech support center. Clean Access has known problems with known patches to fix them but those patches usually are not provided unless you complain about having problems. Of course, the situation at your university may be different.

I had a similar problem. But I found a work-around.

If you have having resource issues. You can simply stop the items from starting in MSCONFIG. I did this with the MS Antispyware and Norton Corporate. This stopped the DoScan.exe at every boot. I am able to log into Clean Access with no problems and if there is a Norton Update, it will update it for me Automatically.

ugg I hate this software. it is very buggy, for example as you can see here:
http://resnet.uci.edu/security/virus.asp

technically my schools resedential network is support all those virus scanners but the software is broken (I went down and had a chat with one of the guys). Because of this every week when the cisco agent checks if you have a virus scanner it ONLY checks for macafee and only that, if you use something else it will say you don't have a virus scanner installed even though supposedly they support it. I'm not gonna say what I do but I found a little trick to get it to work with AVG. But yeah the program stinks, it uses a buncha resources and kinda makes me feel like they have to punish the users who can manage to keep their system up to date and virus free because of the ones who can't.

It's not as much as a problem anymore... for some reason once I install/uninstall it (after closing CCAA through the task manager) it stops being required and I have no restrictions. Hopefully this will hold through the next version :bang head

Back