• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Typhoon for P5WD2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I remember that Phil (Sentanials) is having problem with the BT with the P5WD2 - Not the clearance but the other issue, or was it something else?

Striker75th said:
Would a Thermaltake Big Typhoon fit on the P5WD2 Premium or noo

thanks for the input if ya answer =)
Do you have either one now? If you don't have the BT why not go with an xp-120? I know that fits/works. Or even a Zalman CNPS9500?

Last edited:
well i have the BT lol but not the mb =( i was either gonna get the P5WD2 or AA8XE Fatal1ty

Striker75th said:
well i have the BT lol but not the mb =( i was either gonna get the P5WD2 or AA8XE Fatal1ty
I have built a few systems with the P5WD2 and am currently running one with an 820d and like it. I did do the vcore droop mod on mine though. :)

I have a BT on a P5WD2-p ... they do need a bit of lapping if you are running a hot cpu ... I have an 830 (130W) on one at 255 fsb - 3830 folding 2 QMD instances 7x24 ... temps up to 62 at 1.375 vcore - I upgraded the fan to a 115 cfm NMB.

Have several of them on different mobos ... work well once installed.

Biggest install problem initially was getting the the 4 nuts evenly tightened down. A bit of practice and examining the AS5 spread helps ... i will likely get another for the next 830's in my folding farm before i convert some to water. Sonic towers are slighly better with decent fans, allow cpu to be swappped without pulling mobo but mounting hardware is not as sturdy.

With The BT, you have to pull the mobo to swap cpu's. the 4 tiny nuts are hard to start even out of the case!

Sentential's caution was on the TT Sonic Tower i believe ... although I have 2 of them with no problems ... The mounting hardware design and quality leave a bit to be desired IMHO ... but they work well once installed.

On one of my Sonic Towers I had to substitute some replacements for the 2 little screws that go on last holding the tower to the base. I have dual fans on both with one slung low between the 2 sets of fins to blow over the passive mosfet cooling on the p5WD2's (i have both the premium and non premium mobos).

/edit BTW ... I hope you are folding for team 32 ! ... and regardless of who u fold for ... the 8xx's kick a$$ ... my 830 is producing 800 PPD :D

Last edited:
Back