• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vcram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
Has anybody heard of Virtual Channel RAM? My mobo supports it, but I've never seen it for sale anywhere. I don't rightly know what it is, or even where I could find some.

Can somebody enlighten me?

VCM is pin compatible with existing DIMM technology. It slots straight in. The mainboard, by reading the SPD information within the onboard EPROM configures itself for VCM operation. Not all mainboards support VCM - Intel chipset mainboards do not support this memory, while most VIA based mainboards do support this new memory architecture.

Virtual Channel Memory attempts to provide high speed data transfers by means of data channel buses, which are configured by high speed registers. Virtual channel memory performs read and write operations to the channel buffers outside the memory. This is known as foreground processing. Background operations (think of this as internal housekeeping with the DIMM), such as precharge or memory cell refresh can be performed separately from foreground processing. This separation of duties allows for a degree of parallelism within the DIMM module, theoretically increasing performance.

no not really, in the benchmarks it was only like .5 to 1 point faster!! lol dont spend ur money on that, go with sdram.

Ok, thx.

I wasn't actually going to pick up any (I can't find it, anyways) I just wanted to know if it was actually faster, or just a waste of money.

Thanx again!

Back