• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decision problem with media PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MÜSLI

Registered
Hi,
I want to built a cheap media pc i already got the following components:
Celeron d 3,06ghz
1GB infineon Ram(goes up to 215mhz with normal settings should be more than enough for a celli)
On the mainboard i cant decide which to chose I´ve come to the following two products:
ASRock P4Dual-915GL
asus p4p800-vm
Which is the better one? Im not that familiar with the ASRock thing if you can´t give me some good advises for an other board i will buy the asus. How does it look with ocing on the asrock and how solid is it?

I wouldn't overclock a media center pc. It's just one of those things where you want stability over performance. Even a celeron 3g is overkill. I'd look into a cooler running system. You can pick up old athlon xp processors for next to nothing, combined with a board and tv-tuner and you're all set.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is for a media pc, don't think performance as it will be wasted. Think noise.

Asrock is the cheaper alternative of Asus. They are both the same company, with that being said Id go with the Asrock, just because of the added features of the 915 chipset. Also it will allow a pcix vid card or agp. That alone will give you more options in upgrades. I had an Asrock board before, and it was more than suffecient for what i paid/intended to do with it. The only limitation i had with my asrock board (not the one you're looking at) was no vcore voltage adjustments. Other than that it was really stable, and built really well.

matt

Thanks for the replys!
That vcore thing is not that good because i have the celli already and i want to oc it just for the kick and then look how low i can get(underclock it) until the temps are right. The lower vcore the better temps. pci-E is not what I need. I have enough agp cards at home and in both boards graphic is already installed. the price of the boards is at about 50€ each so price is no argument in here. I think i will buy the asus. But that ASRock ist stable and manages to adjust the fsb sounds good, so maybe thats something for a cheap pc for my sister.

Back