• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p5gd1 prob? Sata not booting when overclocked? (yet ide was doing fine)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darufe

I just installed a wd sata2 250gb drive on my p5gd1.
Used to run a ide maxtor wich was doing fine with pci bus locked at 33mhz and fsb@ 260x4
Now i removed that and put in my new sata drive formated installed windows (all without beeing overclocked just to be sure windows doesnt have even the slightest error)
Go back to the bios put in my old settings.
Now it just freezes after detecting my cd-rom (wich is when he normaly tries to detect the sata drive)

My normal settings are
spread spectrum disabled
pci block 33.3mhz
260fsb

I dont get it?
anyone have some ideas?

ahhh thank god for the wd knowledge base.
their answer is rather retarded imho but it still helped :D

Question
Why is my Serial ATA hard drive not detected or unstable if the computer system is being overclocked?

Answer
Problem:
The Serial ATA hard drive becomes unstable or unrecognized after overclocking the PCI, AGP, or FSB frequencies.

Cause:
This is caused because the Serial ATA controller is linked (connected to the same data bus) with the PCI, AGP, or FSB data bus. The Serial ATA chip runs at a 100MHz frequency. If this chip is accidentally overclocked over this 100MHz frequency, the chip will not function reliably or at all.

Resolution:
Reverting the frequency of the PCI, AGP, or FSB bus back to default will resolve the issue. For more information about this issue, please contact your motherboard or computer manufacturer.

Now is it me or is that a "not my problem" type of answer?
oh its not working with overclocking? tough luck budy run everything in spec!
But the nice part is this:
Reverting the frequency of the PCI, AGP, or FSB bus back to default will resolve the issue.

Therefore its a possibility that the sata 2 drive shares the pcie bus frequency and not the pci bus freq!

guess what? it DOES use the pcie freq so setting that to 100mhz lock fixed the whole problem :D

and there i was ready to throw that thing right back at WD's door calling them a bunch of ignorant ******** :)

good thing i searched that knowledge base!

Back