• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P4S-LA's BIOS "sees" Pentium 4 2.4 GHz as a 1.8 GHz processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Curt

I have a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion 552w that came with a Pentium 4 2.0 GHz w/ 400 FSB on a ASUS P4S-LA motherboard. The specifications at HP say the board can use DDR PC2100/266 memory maximum but the BIOS is reporting my PC2700 memory as "2700" that I upgraded to. Windows reconizes the memory as 2 GB (2 x 1 GB DDR 2700/333.) The ASUS P4333-M seems similiar to the HP P4S-LA motherboard that ASUS makes for HP.

The main issue here started after I upgraded first to a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz w/ 400 FSB. The ASUS Award BIOS "saw" only 2.4 GHZ a w/ a 400 FSB. Windows XP and Server 2003 report the processor as a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4. I did some research and found the SiS 650 chipset can handle a 533 FSB so I just installed a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz w/ 533 FSB (thinking the BIOS would "see" the processor and front side bus speed correctly.) Now the BIOS "sees" the processor speed as 1800 MHz with a 400 FSB. Windows Server 2003's System Properties see the processor as both a 2.4 GHz AND a 1.8 GHz. Server 2003's System Information shows the Pentium 4 as a 1.8 GHz.

I downloaded Sandra and it said the maximum front side bus speed was 4x133MHz/2x166MHz but Sandra also shows the FSB as 400MHz (with the Pentium 4 2400MHz w/ 533 FSB) in the "Mainboard Information" area of Sisoftware Sandra. When I look in the "CPU and BIOS Information" area of Sandra the speed is shown as 1.8 GHz. I wonder if my PC is using the 533MHz FSB or if I can find out the fastest processor that my motherboard can display correctly in the BIOS? HP does not have a BIOS upgrade available to fix this. There are no jumpers on the motherboard to adjust the multiplier. The ASUS P4S333-M uses the ASUS "JumperFree" solution but the HP ASUS P4S-LA motherboard that I have does not have this I don't think. Let me know if anyone can help me with the which of these two upgrades is the best of all for best performance. I cannot tell the difference actually. Thanks!!

CPU-Z:
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

"CPU-Z is a freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system."

Here is the CPU-Z Report in .TXT file format (it was HTML) from the software:

HP PAvilion 552w
ASUS P4S-LA motherboard
SiS 650 chipset
Socket 478 Pentium 4
2 x 1 GB PC2700 memory modules

Attachments

• CPU-Z Report2 (P4 2.4GHZ).txt
    2 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Back