• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2-P What did you need for 300FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rav

Just wanted to see what settings/voltages were needed for those who run 300FSB. I'm unsure of the safe cpu/chipset/fsb voltages on an intel system and I'm a little reluctant to just start raising settings I'm not sure of. Right now I am running an 820D at 266FSB with 1.425 vcore raised only and its slightly unstable (aircooled, around 56C load). I have dreams of 300/4.2 with watercooling but I want to see if I can even get it to POST at those settings first. Thanks for your help!

-Rav

Highest i have gone on my 830 on a p5wd2 (pretty much same board) is 260 stable on air ... but since i run 2 qmd folding instance on it 724 have drpooed it to 255 to be stable. Temps 61-63. VCORE at 1.375, mem at 1.9 i think. rest are all stock. Leave the pcix on auto to keep it locked for oc.

/edit ... checked my log again ,,, had it at 265 fsb single folding stable, unstable due to temps dual folding.

I don't think you will get to 300 without water at least, but i am interested to see if the 820's lower thermal rating scales up and become the same as the 830 at OC.

/edit ... BTW ... I hope you have that puppy folding! The 830 i have kicks a$$ - 800 ppd!

Last edited:
My 820 settings as follows:

CPU Freq 265
DRAM Freq 663
PCI Freq 100
PCI Sync 33.33
Vcore 1.35

Runs perfectly stable running dual FAH for 24 hours. Temps in the low 50's under full load.

ive tried running mine at 300/1.5 but seem to get unstable/weird scores.

aquamark was at 104, 336 but id get either no gfx or cpu score.

but it is possible..

im at 286/1.4 right now and downright stable.

steveeb said:
My 820 settings as follows:

CPU Freq 265
DRAM Freq 663
PCI Freq 100
PCI Sync 33.33
Vcore 1.35

Runs perfectly stable running dual FAH for 24 hours. Temps in the low 50's under full load.

I should get a delta to try with my 830 ... only has a 115 cfm on a big typhoon atm.
I think these need a dual core water system ... at least the 830 does.

I had tried to get an 820 on ebay but the deal got messed up by the seller so he is sending me an 830 instead (same price) ... but i actually wanted an 820 to see the difference in thermals!

What are your ppd? Running 2 QMD's? One QMD and one BIG is best i think but not enough BIG WU's around so I go 2xQMD.

Crimedog, what vcore are you running?

Also, is this 'droop' I hear about refering to how the vcore drops under full load? How is this corrected on P5WD2, and is this related to instability under load?

I'm very surprised with my temps so far. I have a stock TT Typhoon with AS5 and I was only topping out at 55C at 1.4V 3.5Ghz. Do you think 3.73Ghz would be stable at 1.4v if watercooled?

Thanks for the info so far... this is my first intel system since PII 400 :cool:

-Rav

I run 2 QMD's on my 820 with 754ppd according to EMIII.

I've seen other people on ocf top 4ghz with their 820's, but for some reason I can't get mine over 3.85ghz (275x14). It will run at 275 however, I've backed it down to 265 for a little added stability and lower temps.

d94 said:
i run 293 all day long
105 in aqua solid

Do you fold on that rig i hope? for Team 32 of course (?) :D

Dual folding is very similar to running prime95 (except it doesn't use all the memory)

Rav said:
Crimedog, what vcore are you running?

Also, is this 'droop' I hear about refering to how the vcore drops under full load? How is this corrected on P5WD2, and is this related to instability under load?

I'm very surprised with my temps so far. I have a stock TT Typhoon with AS5 and I was only topping out at 55C at 1.4V 3.5Ghz. Do you think 3.73Ghz would be stable at 1.4v if watercooled?

Thanks for the info so far... this is my first intel system since PII 400 :cool:

-Rav

i like to run 1.5v on water. probably the same on phase but not sure yet. dry ice 2v+.

droop is indeed how the vcore droops under load, the mod is done with a vr (variable resistor) soldered to two points on the board. this board isn't bad with droop like a lot of boards, it droops under load but the voltage it droops to remains solid. i usually saw 1.46v idle when set to 1.4v, and about 1.39v under load, so i wasn't too bothered by it. for heavier overclocks it helps though, it also gives you approx an exta .07v.

with an 820d and good water cooling i'm gonna guess you could get between 3.9 and 4.2ghz stable with 1.45v or so.

pscout said:
Do you fold on that rig i hope? for Team 32 of course (?)

Dual folding is very similar to running prime95 (except it doesn't use all the memory)

i don't even run prime95 anymore, and since i have 2gb memory i made a custom install of f@h so i get this:

Attachments

• fah.JPG
    fah.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 154
crimedog said:
droop is indeed how the vcore droops under load, the mod is done with a vr (variable resistor) soldered to two points on the board. this board isn't bad with droop like a lot of boards, it droops under load but the voltage it droops to remains solid. i usually saw 1.46v idle when set to 1.4v, and about 1.39v under load, so i wasn't too bothered by it. for heavier overclocks it helps though, it also gives you approx an exta .07v.

Do you have a link to a good guide for the mod, with decent pictures? Mine sags almost 0.1v under load. Thanks!

-Rav

pscout said:
Do you fold on that rig i hope? for Team 32 of course (?) :D

nope
iv thought about it, but thats as far as iv gone

Back