• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG!!! the nightmare!!!!! p5gd1-vm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

longneck122

Registered
Ok I recently got deep in the pockets and decided to go all out on my barebones alienware area-51 3500...

stock specs.......

asus p5gd1-vm mobo
P4 521 2.8ghz
512mb alienware stock ram
80gb sata hard drive
480w power supply
on-board graphics

I bought.........

2048mb PQI turbo pc3200 dual channel ram
12" cold cathode lights
thermaltake bigwater SE liquid cooling system
thermaltake vga cooling block
BFG GeForce 6800GT OC
Logisys 3.5" digital fan controller etc....
5.1 speaker system

I went into BIOS to check out all the O/Cing features i'd been reading about to find it wasn't there..... all the features that allow you to adjust fsb, cpu, voltages, and ratios were locked!!! apparently alienware put their own bios rom into my motherboard and I can't update it with asus bios updates either.... I contacted alienware, but the don't have any bios updates for my motherboard. :bang head I am now out of money :p , and can't overclock ANYTHING! I have all this cool new stuff with no purpose. I am looking for help... I am convinced that i can overclock this board SOMEHOW...... maybe i could change to a stock rom i don't know..... I have spent alot of money, and I'm new to O/cing and I need help bad. Someone please have pity on my poor soul and help me please!!! :cry:

I'm pretty sure you could just go Here download the latest bios and update utility and flash your bios (however you might have to force it if it doesn't want to match up, just make sure that it is the correct MB.) That would unlock anything that alienware did. Either that or if it doesn't work you could call up ASUS and have them ship you a new CMOS chip with the latest bios but that would cost you more money (i think it's about $20 or so.)

I have tried to flash bios with afudos, and the alt+f2 flash, and with AsusUpdate through windows... all give the same error.....

"ERROR! romid is not compatible with existing BIOS romid"

and all progress ceases....

Last edited:
Are you sure there is not some kind of setting that locks the overclocking features? Like, for example, an auto setting that needs to be changed to manual so you may access and change the FSB settings etc. Secondly did you call Alienware and ask about the features of that system? Is it advertised as overclockable?

Z

no i fiddled w/everything... I am pretty sure I'll have to flash the BIOS, but it won't let me. Alienware was no help, they just kept telling me that flashing the BIOS would void my warranty and that they didn't have any BIOS updates. I know the board is overclockable stock from asus, I've seen it on here. Alienware changed that.

You might need to buy a new BIOS chip from somwhere like badflash.com. I think they ship anywhere for a pretty reasonable price.

I am also wondering about how far you could overclock that even with an asus flash.

Another folder bought the VM version of the p5ld2 and could never get beyond 220 fsb ... generally attributed to the integrated video.

In order to force flash you need to know what type of bios update tool is used and search the forum for the command (it is usually /py i think but definately check around or try /? when in dos.)

alienware suck. they advertise there comps as the best(in the uk, theres a mag that says 'the most powerful gaming pc you can buy, 3000 amd64, 1gb ddr400, 6600gt etc :attn: :rolleyes: ) and then they do stuff like this. gutted

I just noticed something. Thats a -VM board. It will not overclock. The -VM boards are factory locked and as far as I know cannot be unlocked. You will need the non-VM board to overclock.

Z

longneck122 said:
no i fiddled w/everything... I am pretty sure I'll have to flash the BIOS, but it won't let me. Alienware was no help, they just kept telling me that flashing the BIOS would void my warranty and that they didn't have any BIOS updates. I know the board is overclockable stock from asus, I've seen it on here. Alienware changed that.

Bad news, if the motherboard model ends with "-VM", then Asus locked it on purpose.

its cool i ordered a p5gd1-pro yesterday... I know i can overclock with that!!!

Last edited:
hmm is this really true?

I happen to know I have come in possesion of some new computers with this motherboard, and..well..they started at dual 2.8's and im prime'ing right now at a 10% ai overclock of 3.08...solid :D

wtf do u mean dual 2.8's? this is a single processor board!?!?!? the -vm board would not overcloak at all for me the p5gd1 regular or pro will though.

Back