• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T-Line Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GearShift3r

Hey guys,

I just ordered my new water-cooling system containing the following parts:
Black Ice Xtreme III Radiator
Swiftech Apogeee WB
Swiftech MPC665
3 Panaflo M1A 120mm
15 ft. 1/2" Tubing
Fillport

I'm not intending to use a reservoir, but there are a few questions I have for running a T-Line

1. What is the best placement for it?
2. How to fill & bleed?
3. Can you run with it open?

Any input or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
-GearShift3r

Typically you will see the t-line placed right before the pump intake.
This will ensure that the pump does not run dry during filling but is a terrible location for bleeding.
I should think that a second tee, situated on the highest water line would solve the bleeding problem- fill at the lower tee while air escapes from the upper one.
That said, I hated t-lines and use reservoirs exclusively now.
Filling/bleeding takes only a few minutes as opposed to days.

Why would you want to run it uncapped?

Thanks for that.

I just want to run it uncapped for a few minutes to let the bubbles out. You can do this, correct?

i m not sure clocker2 but i think you were doing it the hard way when you were using the t-line

lets say you put your pump at the bottom of you case and then you put your t-line at the inlet; the simples way to fill is to flip your case on to its top so now the pump and the t-line are at the highest point in the system now fill the system with water (you may have to start tipping the case in different directions to try and get all the air out) once you get as much air out as you can then plug up the t-line and flip the case back to right side up and then in 3 days check the t-line again and top it off and you should be good to go

if you want to empty the system then just tip the case towards you and put the t-line into a bottle and let the system drain

When I used t lines I put one on the pump inlet and one at the highest point of the loop as suggested. This worked pretty well as having a t-line at the top enabled it to bleed fairly well. I however did switch back to a res (my own custom one) and am really happier with it than with t-lines. Making my own res allowed me to place it at the top of my loop so it fills and bleeds quickly and easily.

Remember that a reservoir for this purpose doesn't have to be very large, there are some seriously small pre made res's you can get that are basically the size of an 80mm fan. I'd recommend one of them over a T-Line any day. You'd thank yourself later for chosing a res over a T-Line.

any pre made res will have better chances for leaks than a t-line. it will also be heavier and need to mounted. a small res is no better than a t-line for bleeding (unless it imposes restriction, in which case it is worse for that reason).

I have always used a res and was thinking about t-line because the leak factor with the swifty/dd/d-tec res's with the threaded barbs will crack and leak. If it is that much of a hassle to fill/bleed, then no thanks.

zip22 said:
any pre made res will have better chances for leaks than a t-line.
Nonsense.
Why should a properly built reservoir be any more likely to leak than say, a Swiftech Storm waterblock?

seriously, people keep saying res's will leak, but that is very rare that they do. I guess the people who use t-lines just wanted to come up with an excuse for not using a res.

clocker2 said:
Nonsense.
Why should a properly built reservoir be any more likely to leak than say, a Swiftech Storm waterblock?

That's my logic. I really want to find a good deal on that Swifty setup with the 350/res combo. That just works.

Aidenswarrior said:
seriously, people keep saying res's will leak, but that is very rare that they do. I guess the people who use t-lines just wanted to come up with an excuse for not using a res.

not true some people (like myself) like the t-line for the simplicty and the look of a simple t-line instead of having a water tank; and since i enjoy playing with computers in the first place the extra time it takes with a t-line is just more fun for me

Icedfire101 said:
not true some people (like myself) like the t-line for the simplicty and the look of a simple t-line instead of having a water tank; and since i enjoy playing with computers in the first place the extra time it takes with a t-line is just more fun for me
Fine, can't argue with that.
I just hate when people say that t-lines are better because "reservoirs leak".
Making a recommendation based on aethetics or specific requirements is one thing...making one based on misinformation is another (and I have been guilty of both, but I'm learning).

killermiller said:
I have always used a res and was thinking about t-line because the leak factor with the swifty/dd/d-tec res's with the threaded barbs will crack and leak. If it is that much of a hassle to fill/bleed, then no thanks.

It's really not a hassle, it takes maybe 20 minutes to fill it up, then you fire up the pump and leave it. My D5 is so strong that it pushed the bubbles out overnight.

Aidenswarrior said:

...My swiftech BayRes cracked along the seam 2 months after installation. And it has since been discontinued, so there's nothing I can do about it but throw it away.

T-line for me. :p

Mounted mine after the cpu outlet, as it's the highest point in my system, and makes for easier filling/bleeding. Will post a pic later tonight, at work atm...

You can also do a setup like mine with a 3-way valve. With the valve turned in one direction, you fill and bleed the system. Then you turn the valve the other way and it bypasses the res to effectively become a t-line setup. I can't take credit for the idea, a friend of mine builds these. He is a member here, but doesn't post very often. He does sell them, so if you are interested I can send him a link to this thread.

This isn't the greatest pic, but you can see the grey 3-way valve.
IMGA0098%20%28Medium%29.JPG

MasterCraft said:
thats a nice piece of work :)

where are the lines going out the rear?

I need to get some longer blue ty-wraps to secure and cleanup the lines going from the back of the computer to the rad.

You can't really see it in the pic, but there is about a 1 1/2" air gap between the rad and the side of the desk in order to draw fresh air through the rad.

IMGA0094%20%28Small%29.JPG

Back