• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling The Reservoir...???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crispy

I was just wondering if cooling the reservoir would help cool the system? I would think it would, but I'm not a scientist either. I was just wondering if it would and if anyone has thought of a way to help do this?
I was thinking about having a Copper reservoir attached to a heatercore/radiator, on the Bottom or on a Side. Or have the res. sitting on Ice/Ice packs/Dry ice in a styrofoam cooler, but then you have to always restock.
I had a few more Ideas but can't think of them now. Well would this work and has anyone thought about this or tried this? Well when I remember the other ways I'll post back. Laterz

Why would you cool a res.? To get rid of all the system heat or to keep the water in the res. from warming up the water after it goes through the rad.?

im not expert at water cooling, im just using some common sense here...if you want to cool your reservoir to below ambiet temp, you probably would want to install the rad before the reservoir instead of after. If the rad is after the res., then there is no point since the water would already be cooler then ambient, but if you intall the rad before the res., then it will cool the water down before it is further cooled down by what ever is cooling the reservoir.

I mean Have a Res. goto the Pump then to Radiator then to Waterblock. And I understand how that all works. I'm Asking.... IF Cooling the Resevoir would help AS IN: Cooling the WHOLE Resevoir you know, where your water comes from Before it goes through the pump and then the Radiator to the Waterblock? Is it Possible? Did I really not explain what I meant/mean? Sorry bout that then. I mean just for extra cool Temps. To keep the water cold through the whole system, because sitting water (Which i understand it's not totally sitting it swirls, but bare with me) retains heat. So appearently there's no point in that? And appearently I have no common sense. Sorry when I read my post I personally understand I am JUST talking about cooling the Resevoir as I know how cooling works in a watersystem with the Radiator. I'm not talking about Setup. BTW Sorry if I seem a bit touchy my Kids are driving me crazy right now and I fell like beating them (not that I would, just saying before you freak out).

Last edited:
the only systems you see that cool the res are called chillers and they use usually a long coil of copper tube inside the res IN a mini fridge. its costly bulky and very time consuming and you have to take the same measures as a phase change system so you would be either better off not doing it or going straight to phase change

Well how bout just Cooling a Copper Res. How bout a Copper Res. with Fins on the Bottom where you mount fans? No? Doesn't give same effect as Radiator with water running through it? I was just pondering a way to cool temps a tad more, I guess.

It might, but the coolest you can get with fans is the ambient temp. If you're going to do that you might as well add another rad. to your loop or add another loop.

So the radiator can only get so cold? Has anyone takin temps of water in Res. and water after it comes out Radiator? I'm sure water in Res. is warmer. And I figured the colder the water you put into a Radiator the Colder the water that comes out. So I was just figuring keeping the water cold. But appearently that doesn't work. Well thanks guys. That's why I'm asking. But too me it still seems like it should help.

lmao...I'm saying so you DON'T have to add another Radiator and more loops which would require a better Pump. Wow am I the only one that knows what I'm asking? If I had CAD skills or any artistic skills I'd draw out what I mean. Just a Copper Box used as a Res. With fins (or whatever they are) on bottom. With 120mm connected on it. Res./Box will have input and output setup to where water inside swirls when it flows through. Now since that water is moving/swirling and You have Fins and Fan on Bottom. Wouldn't that Cool temps of water? In which case would cool Temps going into Radiator, which would cool temps coming out of Radiator? Now do you guys understand? So will it? yes or No. No different setup. no different this or that. Would that Work?

Last edited:
What your proposing would make your res just like a secondary radiator sort of. That said, your temps will never drop below ambient without using something like a chiller or TEC. If you did somehow manage to get your water below ambient temps. You would need to insulate

k Thanks. Well it was worth a shot...I guess. Thanks. and sorry for being so short earlier if I was.

There is one single scenario where this -might- affect temps. Notice that you'd need fins on both sides of the heatsink, outside for the fan and inside for the water.

Basically if you have a single res at the back of the case sucking case air out through the rad and out in the room, you're never going to get cooler water than your case temps, which are generally a few degrees above ambient. You could then, if you had the fan blow outside air across the fins of the rad, get a degree or two temp reduction. Usually you'd obviously place the rad so that you could cool it with ambient air, but if for some reason this isn't possible for aesthetical reasons or whatever, then yeah, possibly a degree or two lower temps.

Also, if you are cooling the res with dry ice or a chiller, pumping it through a rad AFTER that is totally counter intuitive. You'd warm up the cooler than ambient water to ambient again with the rad. If you are doing this, route it so you get Reservoir->Pump->waterblock(s)->heatercore/radiator->return to reservoir. As far as I can see that's the best setup.

Last edited:
I could picture this working to eliminate the radiator, thereby making a system silent. IF and only IF you could chill the water in a silent manner. WIth the amount of heat that would be dumped into the res ny the blocks/pump, I don't see that happening. Then, there's always the issue of falling below ambient, which would seem likely when idle, since the system would have to be built to keep up under a load.

Kil4Thril said:
I could picture this working to eliminate the radiator, thereby making a system silent. IF and only IF you could chill the water in a silent manner. WIth the amount of heat that would be dumped into the res ny the blocks/pump, I don't see that happening. Then, there's always the issue of falling below ambient, which would seem likely when idle, since the system would have to be built to keep up under a load.
You have to have some really big fins on the resevior to get that to work. Also, there is no way to go below ambient unless you use a chiller/pelt etc, but then this becomes extreme cooling.

Back